Open door

In reply to:

results would have to be catastrophic with object hitting rear stabilator.

A scary thought. I try to make sure that everything in the baggage compartment is securely strapped down. I was doing this with turbulence in mind, but you’ve just given us another good reason to do it.

-Mike

Don’t forget the other door. I once made a flight with the baggage door open. I didn’t notice anything in the flying characteristics, but my portable CO detector was triggering at low levels, which it normally never did.

Now I always leave the key in the baggage door when it is unlocked, so I can’t depart with it open.

In reply to:

One idea for closing the door while in flight. Gain some altitude, close the vents, slow the AC and slip it so the door is in the quiet side of the slip. I wonder if it will work.

For the record, this will absolutely work, at least in the slipstream of a `20. However, it is much easier to close the right door than the left–ask me how I know!

Closing the vents (all six) is a critical step, only exceeded in importance by step one: ENGAGE THE AUTOPILOT!

–Michael

I agree that the best, safest action is to keep ALL doors securely closed in flight. However, if one is left open, it is NOT an emergency. On both my Cirrus and previous Cessna, the doors would only be open no more than 1 inch, and any action to try to open it further was very difficult. I would not worry about time falling out of the plane, even papers as the airflow seems to be into the airplane.

In both planes the various pressures make it very difficult to actually close the door once it is opened. While I found it possible in the Cessna, I have been unsuccessful in the Cirrus.

Lastly, my method for avoiding leaving any door open is to 1) close the passenger door myself from the outside, then walk around and get in. Since I have to walk right by the cargo door, it is very unlikely to leave it open. I tried the leave the key in the door for a while, but I did not like the risk of scratching the paint with the other keys that were dangling so I stopped that practice.

The holes in my plan are that when very hot, we often will open the passenger door to stay cool. A second hole is that when flying with an experienced Cirrus pilot in the right seat, I do let them close the door. (I know most are perfect, but Scott and I aren’t [;)] . )