Off topic - Monroy Aero Traffic alerter? -any experience with

Still waiting for my 22, but as I fly around with my PA28-181 I am noticing more and more little airplanes nearby with very late calls from ATC.

Anyone have any real-world experience with this $795 traffic alerter? Is it worth is?

THanks,

Matt

Matt,

During 2000, Aviation Consumer did a report on traffic alert devices, and felt that the Monroy Aero Traffic alerter was a satisfactory value for the price, as I recall. You may wish to track down that issue and read it, since it contained some interesting evaluative comments about all the available devices.

Pete

Still waiting for my 22, but as I fly around with my PA28-181 I am noticing more and more little airplanes nearby with very late calls from ATC.

Anyone have any real-world experience with this $795 traffic alerter? Is it worth is?

THanks,

Matt

THanks,

Matt

I brought one a year ago because I couldn’t justify a TCAD for a '65 skyhawk.

I don’t fly anywhere without it & have been very grateful for it several times re traffic ATC never called or called after it passed.

In the NYC/Long Island area I mute the voice in the class B & C areas but watch the the numer of bars light up ( more bars the closer an a/c). There are a lot of false alarms - or rather a/c that I never see but the biggest value as I see it is that it forces the pilot to look more out the window and less at the bells & whistles in the cockpit.

Be aware that if conflicting traffic doesn’t have a transponder or forgot to turn it on, the Monroy doesn’t pick it up.

The most important thing is it make me realize how much I want a real Tcad that will show altitude & bearing instead "there’s something nearby - start looking’

JD #476

I’ve been using the Monroy device for about six months. As others have said, I find that it is worth the $800.

I don’t take its alerts as “your about to hit someone”, but rather as “now would be a good time to look outside”.

One question I have is whether it really does altitude discrimination. The manual says that it eliminates returns from altitudes more than 1500’ off from your altitude. How does it know this? It doesn’t have a pressure sensor (and this wouldn’t work anyway in a pressurized a/c). Does it listen the a/c’s own transponder reply?

About 60% of the alerts result in me looking around, but not seeing any other a/c. And I certainly have a/c come close without setting off the Monroy box. But it is better than nothing.

I look forward to using Skywatch in the future.

THanks,

Matt

For a less expensive unit with more features try the Surecheck TPAS.