Not enough minorities among pilots

Is anybody else concerned that racial

minorities remain woefully underrepresented

among both commercial and GA pilots?

I was at Oshkosh and felt awfully lonely.

Are there any government efforts to

boost such representation, such as

were used for medical and law schools?

You are in the wrong forum.

:wink:

Greg

I am much more concerned by the lack of women commercial and GA pilots. I am even more concerned by the lack of women who want to fly with me.

Charles,
Actually, you’re in the right forum. Anyone with an interest in Cirrus aircraft is welcome, independent of their political views, gender, or ethnicity.

I agree with you that minorities are woefully underrepresented in general aviation, as in many other arenas of American public life. But I am unaware of any government program which aims to change the amount of minority participation in GA. (However, the military is a positive force in this direction. Their aviation training programs provide equal opportunity to pilot candidates of all ethnicities, and many military pilots go on to participate in GA.)

There are, however, private organizations such as the http://www.blackpilots-america.org/Black Pilots of America, http://www.blackwings.com/Negro Airmen International, and the http://www.blackaviation.org/International Black Aerospace Council, which do laudable work in this regard.

I hope you’ll feel welcome to participate in the Cirrus-related discussions in this Forum!

Cheers,

Roger

Anyone who gazes skyward and dreams of a future in aviation deserves a fair chance to live the dream.

I expect the underrepresentation comes down to an economic disparity rather than any barrier that the aviation community presents. As aviators we can do our small part by encouraging anyone who shows an interest.

Dear Mr. Washington:

I am not certain that invoking the government will solve your problem. The person who is predestined to fly will do it without intervention from the feds, and the one who is not interested in aviation, will not be attracted to GA. Nobody can mandate love…

In my assessment the government should focus in on reducing the minority overrepresentation in the correctional institutions…

Also, you should not have felt lonely in Oshkosh since you were surrounded by like minded, fellow aviators and afficionados, regardless of their race. IMHO it is rather myopic to focus in on only one attribute of an individual.

Best regards,

Laz Kulcsar

Unlike rigid entrance exams and medical board requirements, aviation is a much friendlier avocation. If quotas and different standards that allow people who are not properly equipped to fly is what you’re talking about, then I want to know who’s pulling out on to the runway when I’m on short final. For aviation, all you have to do is love airplanes and enjoy flying.
It would be safe to say the group that loves airplanes on the other hand, is poorly represented in rap music and the NBA. I suppose there’s nothing the government can do to make me sing or love rap music. It boils down to what people decide thay want to spend their time doing.

GA is a freely chosen passion/recreation/avocation for most and a profession for a relative few. I doubt there would (or should) be any “government programs” to encourage minority participation on the recreational side any more than such programs should exist for fly fishing or ping pong.

On the professional–commercial pilot/instructor-- side I would imagine that there are financial aid programs (mostly private I bet) available for those with the passion and commitment to train but who lack the resources, regardless of race, religion, (or in my case, funny-looking feet and short stature) etc.

As an aside, one of the aspects that I love most about aviation is that its culture values and respects individual achievement, responsibility, competence, and the never-ending quest to improve and learn more. Anyone who respects, aspires, and tries to live by these values will find a warm home in GA no matter what their background.

Charles,

I received a couple of e-mails expressing concern over my earlier too brief response to your questions. They were correct to point out that saying you were in the wrong forum, and leaving it at that was open to a wide range of interpretation. Permit me to clarify. My opinion is that such an issue isn’t really appropriate to this forum which is here to provide a place to talk about Cirrus aircraft, not controversial governmental programs.
Please accept my apologies if I affended anyone.

Thanks,

Greg

P.S. If you live anywhere in the Southeast, I would be absolutely happy to take you flying in my SR22 after sometime after mid-October! Counting the days…

Charles, just so you know how blind that g.a. is it can kill you if you are white,black,red,orange,short,tall,dumb,rich,poor,funny,mean,handicap,gifted or anything else. I think training and practice is the most important part of aviation. A plane will kill you if you do not respect it. The weather will kill you if you do not respect it. So through my rambling I think I speak for a lot of people on this forum in saying, WELCOME and get the best training,instructor, and aircraft no matter who you are we are just happy to have you. So the answer to your question is the only minority we and or I see is the unlucky people who do not fly…ED

P.S I have yet to meet a short,fat Italian,irish,german concrete contractor with a hair loss problem,with 2 kids who flys!

Hi Charles,

Actually, I think that is (or should be) a big concern of all of us in GA – why is it that the vast majority of aviation enthusiasts (at least judging from the crowds at OSH and at most local airports) tend to be white males?

I would hope the reason is not because of any overt discrimination on the part of FBOs, etc. But it’s hard to say for sure.

So let me flip the question around – your question implies that you are of a racial minority under-represented in aviation. Why do you think that is? Have you (or other minority acquaintances) experienced any type of discrimination in aviation? In other words, why, in your opinion, are minorities under-represented in aviation? Perhaps after looking at the reasons, we can then address your question whether govenment intervention is warranted, or would even help.

Please feel free to contact me by email if I can help (and to shorten this off-topic thread).

Thanks,

Steve

Charles, just so you know how blind that g.a. is it can kill you if you are white,black,red,orange,short,tall,dumb,rich,poor,funny,mean,handicap,gifted or anything else. I think training and practice is the most important part of aviation. A plane will kill you if you do not respect it. The weather will kill you if you do not respect it. So through my rambling I think I speak for a lot of people on this forum in saying, WELCOME and get the best training,instructor, and aircraft no matter who you are we are just happy to have you. So the answer to your question is the only minority we and or I see is the unlucky people who do not fly…ED

P.S I have yet to meet a short,fat Italian,irish,german concrete contractor with a hair loss problem,with 2 kids who flys!

P.S.S. OK you flame shields up for the fat italian part…ED