New Owner - What should I read first from Cirrus bag?

Hi everyone,

Cirrus sent me a big bag of goodies as a new owner - I’m wondering in what order should I begin reading/using all the stuff?

Also I’ve requested a second license # to install the cirrus cd on two computers - anyone had luck with gettin them to agree to that? seems silly to have to have restrictions on the install.

Any help on this is welcomed. Also - what should be in my flight bag? Yes, a self powered flashlight, sectional. But what about motion computing moving chart with weather? Is that overkill? Maybe a simple lcd gps unit and radio backup?

What do you all say? Thanks in advance,

Jay

Jay,

If you are a new owner the FIRST thing you ought to do is join COPA. That will give you access to the Member’s Forum where there is literally a gold mine of information about the care and feeding of your aircraft along with general information about ATC issues, weather, maintenance, social functions etc.

It will be the best $50 you ever spend as an owner.

In reply to:

Hi everyone,
Cirrus sent me a big bag of goodies as a new owner - I’m wondering in what order should I begin reading/using all the stuff?

Jay; I note that you are posting on the non-member side of the forum, so I might suggest the first thing that you MUST read first is the membership application and rules. Start by joining and reading every post on the members forum, archives included. When you have finished that, you will not need to read anything else.

Welcome to Cirrus Jay:

I may have missed something in your post, but if you are indeed a new Cirrus owner with a new plane, I believe that COPA and CD has extended a courtesy membership for a short period of time (60 days). If that is true, you are in.

Hope that helps. Most of your questions have already been answered on the members side.

Again, Welcome!

David Schwietert 203 RF PFD/TKS

In reply to:

Any help on this is welcomed. Also - what should be in my flight bag? Yes, a self powered flashlight, sectional. But what about motion computing moving chart with weather? Is that overkill? Maybe a simple lcd gps unit and radio backup?

I agree that you’ll get more information on the members side. One caveat: as I found out the hard way, the self powered flashlights contain strong magnets that will cause your wet compass to read up to 10 degrees incorrectly.

a Garmin 396 is a particularly hot item as self powered backup. There are several hundred messages about it on the member side.

Jay,

First, I agree with others, join COPA!

Second, I would enlist the services for a long term relationship with a Cirrus Standardized Instructor (CSIP). I would ask the question of your selected CSIP person.

You can find a list of CSIP instructor on the CirrusDesign web site. Here is a list CSIP instructors in Ohio:

Jason Beam
P.O. Box 127
3129 Horn Beam Rd.
Sabina, OH 45169
Ph: 937.603.8136
jasonbeam2001@yahoo.com

Elliott Taub
624 carriage Hill Dr.
Athens, OH 45701
Ph: 740.591.3985
taub@ohio.edu

James Betounes
2927 Rushbury Dr.
Dublin, OH 43017
Ph: 614.760.8692
jbetounes@yahoo.com

AVIATION SALES INC.
William McNabb-CHIEF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR
DAYTON WRIGHT BROTHERS AIRPORT
10600 SPRINGBORO PIKE
MAIMISBURG, OH 45342
Fax: 937.885.3118
BMCNABB@AVIATIONSALESINC.COM WD8SAY@SBCGLOBAL.NET

John M. Komer ATP, CFII-MEL
6745 Scarborough Rd. NW
Canton, Ohio 44718
Home: 330.833.9913
Day: 330.497.4148 ext. 303
Cell: 330.704.8628
jgmm@sssnet.com

Herbert Porter
7715 LeSourdsville West Chester RD
West Chester, OH 45069
Ph: 513.777.8721

Gerry
CSIP New Mexico

Well, I just spent 2 hours digging thru the archives after I paid my 50 bucks - I was eager to dig in. Put together a nice word doc that has lots of hard earned experience laden info.

I got some info on where to go with the goodie bag. Cirrus included a slip that said “such and such CD” (as if the 4 I had wasn’t enough) is going to be shipped soon.

Whats up with that?

Or any other flight instructor with significant time in a Cirrus. There are many flight instructors that are moret han qualified to instruct in a Cirrus but do not see the need to jump though the cost for the CSIP. This is not meant to be any criticism of any flight instructor - they come both good and bad with or without the CSIP “designation”. Just make sre they have a solid understanding of the Cirrus systems. Also, check with your insurance companies - some insist on a CSIP - but others won’t necessarily depending on your hours and the qualifications of the instructor you use.

PS - and use the free 60 days to join the memberside. You will learn more their than anyplace I can think of.

Great! How do I get my free 60 Days? I just sent an email to the webmaster. I need to start readin and SOON!

Delivery 9/7

Jay

Don’t worry, you will never catch up. Use a search tools on the membership side to find way more info than you will ever need. Most is helpful, some is funny, some is way above my non-electrical engineer head. Read and enjoy.

In reply to:

Great! How do I get my free 60 Days? I just sent an email to the webmaster. I need to start readin and SOON!
Delivery 9/7
Jay

Pay the 50 bucks. 60 days is not enough time to read all of the invaluable data. No, I’m not kiddin.

Welcome aboard! Be warned tho, this very useful resource is addictive!!!