New 2022 SR22 (naturally aspirated) G6

Just took delivery of my new G6. Mineral oil up until 25 hour inspection. Just burned 2 quarts of regular oil during the first 5 hours after the 25 hour inspection (OAT 50 degrees F). Is that normal?

1 Like

What did it burn in the 25 hours before the inspection? By 25 hours, the majority of the break-in should already be completed, and the oil consumption should be lower and stable. On the surface, that’s a lot of oil to burn through a motor with 25 hours on it. What oil level have you been trying to maintain, 8qts? Something lower?

Jim

1 Like

It would depend on what your starting oil level was?

1 Like

Bradley,
Not everyone monitors the Guest section so it might take a while to get a lot of replies. Be patient!
Here is my plug- You will get your $95 worth in membership in about 10 minutes with a paid membership - money back guarantee!

To your problem - How long did you wait after shut-down to check the oil? It takes a good 24 hours for the oil to drain out of the engine back to the pan.

If you were still burning a lot of oil at 25 hours you might not have wanted to put regular oil into the engine, but I’m not a mechanic.

Also, how much oil did you add after when you did the oil change? The filter is going to eat up a quart straight away!

2 Likes

Thanks Jim!

Burned about a quart every 10 hours, which seems normal. I try to maintain at about 6 -7 quarts.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I measured about 18 hours after shut-down. Could explain part of the problem. The mineral oil consumption in first 25 hours appeared normal at about 10 hours per quart, and that was running hot at 80% power during break-in.

2 Likes

I would watch it and continue to fly. I would suspect the higher consumption was a measurement artifact associated with a change in your process at the time of the inspection. If you normally keep the plane at 6-7 quarts, start your measurement process once you get back there. The shop probably put the oil back at a full 8qts on the stick, which in many planes will result in a bunch of oil being blown out the breather.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim. Think you’re exactly right.

3 Likes

I am in the same process. Have 40 hours total. My 2019 sr22 vented 1 quart per 6 hours. Now the 2022 seems to blow more out. I am trying to figure out the dip stick. Not sure if a quart on the dip stick is a quart? Also is the measurement the same per quart from 5 quarts to 8 quarts on the stick.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed measurement differences on the dip stick. I’m now at 43 hours and consumption appears to be leveling out at a more normal level of one quart per 8-10 hours.

Think I am at 6. Same hours. Tired of washing belly of sr22. Lb

I don’t fill higher than 6.5 or 7.0 on the stick. Think that helps.

2 Likes

I have been using the 6 quart level.

2 Likes

My opinion as I took delivery of a 2020 SR22T.

1. Burning 2 quarts in 5 hrs is excessive in my opinion. I was burning MAYBE 1 quart in 15 hrs. Keep in mind that is Tach time and not Hobbs as that how they base all time on when you have a Tach meter.
  2. Continental requires 8 quarts when full. I was told don’t ever go below 6. So if you check the oil and it shows 6, you need to add oil. When you do I was told you should add 2 quarts. btw I was told by the Cirrus Service Center in Dallas.
  3. On my plane I did not see an excessive burn rate between 6-8 quarts.

I think yes they are required to fill to 8. And it’s true that as I recall the checklist wants 6-8. But from there each plane seems to be different, including that the marks on dipstick and what’s actually in plane may not coincide.

1 Like

I have 2022 SR22 NA. I initially struggled with the oil level. Now it has almost 200 TSN. It spits out everything above 6 through the breather. It stabilizes at 5.8. I was told by the service center who spoke to TCM that is normal. When it drops below, I fill it back up to 6-6.5.

2 Likes

It is useless to have more than 6 qts in the sump. My NA has an oil consumption of 1 qt per hour over 6 qts and 0.2 qts per hour at 6 qts.

I mean you can scrape it off the belly and fill it in again, if you like to do that.

1 Like

I was hooking up my tug last night and took a quick look at the belly - 50 hours and it was filthy. On my 2004 I used 5.5 as my fill point. Put in one quart every 25 hours.

You are a fortunate man. Enjoy that. Our brand new engine is ~6 to 7 hours per quart.

1 Like

Seems like a lot…

1 Like