New 2022 SR22 (naturally aspirated) G6

No exactly what I would expect from a new engine that is worth 100K

1 Like

Allow me to just observe that “is worth” is not the same as “costs”.

3 Likes

The engine typically has a 12 quart sump. We have 8. Then we run 6.

Sludged rings should not be a surprise.

The big (-109) filter holds [traps] a full quart.

If your plane “blew out the first quart,” much less two, it would be a bloody mess everywhere.

…says the guy who runs eight full quarts in the sump, all the time. (That means filling eight after a change and immediately adding a top off quart for the filter.)

2 Likes

Mine is the same. Took delivery with a few hours on the tach, so no info on those hours. Tried to break-in per recommendations, but transition training and all …

Performed a ring flush at about 400 hours hoping for some improvement. Went from 7 hrs./qt to 7.5 hrs/qt. Has remained in that range (+/-) to over 1000 hours so far.

Cross-country it burns a little less. Local flights doing wifferdills burns a little more.

My 2002 SR20 (which was not flown for 10 years), was about 25 hrs/qt…

1 Like

I hear these stories and it blows my mind. My 2 hangarmates who had G5 22’s never filled past 5.5 qts or they would blow the excess out in an hour of flight time. My 2019 SR22 blew out anything over 6 qts while trying to keep it at 7, but only used a quart every 8 hrs keeping it at 6 qts. My 2022 SR22 is pretty much exactly like my earlier plane. Anything over 6 blows out quickly, but then is pretty stable from there, using maybe 0.1 qts per flight hour. Mechanics have told me that “this is what they do” and to stop overfilling it but I always worry about not having enough oil in there so I keep at 7. Might go back to keeping 6. A quart every 25 hours?? How on Earth?

1 Like