My 2 main concerns: Will it melt and can I get deicing?

The Cirrus line is very sexy. I flew my 1999 Cessna (which always gets comments on the new smell or how expensive it is compared with a 20 plus year old Cessna) to Duluth last fall to get a first hand look at the plane.

Everyone but the sales rep my family and I met with, were extremely pleasant and very proud of their plane. They certainly had a right to be.

I took off from KDLH feeling a little violated. A Cessna can be called a lot of things, but doggy, was the only thing I could think of compared to the sensuous and lusty SR.

I have followed this web site for some time, and except for the hated “insurance guy” this always seems to be a love fest around here.

I think I am almost convinced to put my name down for a SR22, but 2 main worries are stopping me.

1. I live in a town that has a major Technologogical University. With lots of PH.D.'s in Chemical Engineering. Several of them are pilots and they to think the SR’s are pretty hot stuff. They have expressed concerns for the never ending hardening of the agents in composites and the effect of heat on the plane in the short and long term.

I read that some of the dashes have warped from a little heat. I know the panel is not as strong as the plane, but.

I live not too far from Duluth, so heat won’t necessarily be a real problem for me; but it could be a huge problem for resale.

1. Because I live up in this area, icing is a real problem. We have had it as low as 3000 feet for the last two days. I read here some time ago, that someone thought, that they heard that deicing might be in the cards soon.

I would like to hear some responses from some people that thought about the heat problem and what they did to feel it wasn’t a problem, and if anyone knows of any concrete plans for deicing.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

I will let you find your own answers so you don’t think I am bias.

I am sure you can find some fiberglass homebuilt airplane, look for some old ones and checkout their fiberglass. Don’t forget, those were built in the garage with common people, no hi-tech stuff and they are not warping their wings or spars. I know people that have forgotten to lower their gears in fiberglass airplanes and crunched to the concrete, with minor damage, one friend of mine did that and also put it thu a fence at full power. He also won the top honor for Sun and Fun after the airplane meet the fence and the gear… I would not worry about the construction. Icing is a different story, Million dollar airplanes can’t stay in the icing all day, your best bet would be a Mig 21, you can get them cheap, and you can get on top fast. Best of luck, don’t waist too much time. Be Happy give Cirrus your money :slight_smile:

Then you too can have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

The Cirrus line is very sexy. I flew my 1999 Cessna (which always gets comments on the new smell or how expensive it is compared with a 20 plus year old Cessna) to Duluth last fall to get a first hand look at the plane.

Everyone but the sales rep my family and I met with, were extremely pleasant and very proud of their plane. They certainly had a right to be.

I took off from KDLH feeling a little violated. A Cessna can be called a lot of things, but doggy, was the only thing I could think of compared to the sensuous and lusty SR.

I have followed this web site for some time, and except for the hated “insurance guy” this always seems to be a love fest around here.

I think I am almost convinced to put my name down for a SR22, but 2 main worries are stopping me.

1. I live in a town that has a major Technologogical University. With lots of PH.D.'s in Chemical Engineering. Several of them are pilots and they to think the SR’s are pretty hot stuff. They have expressed concerns for the never ending hardening of the agents in composites and the effect of heat on the plane in the short and long term.

I read that some of the dashes have warped from a little heat. I know the panel is not as strong as the plane, but.

I live not too far from Duluth, so heat won’t necessarily be a real problem for me; but it could be a huge problem for resale.

1. Because I live up in this area, icing is a real problem. We have had it as low as 3000 feet for the last two days. I read here some time ago, that someone thought, that they heard that deicing might be in the cards soon.

I would like to hear some responses from some people that thought about the heat problem and what they did to feel it wasn’t a problem, and if anyone knows of any concrete plans for deicing.

Thanks,

Mark

It may not have been clear, but the glareshields that have melted are plastic, not fiberglass. Cirrus changed from glass to plastic for the interior panels at some point - early planes have fiberglass interior panels and have no problems with warping (S/N 1033 has been in Australia for 12 months, through the summer, no problem at all. The later demonstrator plane that arrived with plastic interior panels has melted a glareshield already.)

I expect that Cirrus will, if they have not already, change at least the glareshield back to fiberglass. The drawback to fiberglass is that the surface finish is paint, and is therefore more expensive and prone to minor scratching.

Regarding icing, the only suggestion I have right now is to move to a warmer climate!

Thanks,

Mark

Not sure what you mean, “Felt violated”…

The Fiberglass you guys are refering to is plastic!

It’s just fiber reinforced plastic.

The new one is probably thermoset and the old one is thermoformed.

Just a guess.

The Fiberglass you guys are refering to is plastic!

It’s just fiber reinforced plastic.

Well, you could argue that all fiberglass composites are just fiber reinforced plastic of some kind, but the panels in the early SR20s are made of the same kind of material as the structure, i.e. they are laid up with glass cloth and epoxy resin.

NOT just a guess.