Jim Fallows interview?

Last I read, Jim said he was scheduled for Monday (yesterday) on NPR show “Fresh Air.” Our local affiliate carried “Fresh Air” but ran an out of date interview about tax cuts. Did anyone get to hear Jim? Jim, if you’re out there, any word on new scheduling?

Don’t know what happened with your local station! It played in most FreshAir outlets yesterday. But you can hear the interview at this link:

www.npr.org/ramfiles/fa/20010618.fa.ram

For followup info!

Thanks for your interest, jf

Jim

You don’t sound like you look.

Great show. I hope some of the public listened to the message and will buy your book for more.

Bob

Jim

You don’t sound like you look.

Hmmmm. You were expecting more like Gomer Pyle? Or Elmer Fudd? Or, gasp, Richard Simmons??? Just curious.

( FYI on this same point: www.jamesfallows.com/archives/pubs/atlantic_monthly/reading_by_ear An Atlantic article about the way written text comes across different through the eye and through the ear)

Hmmmm. You were expecting more like Gomer Pyle? Or Elmer Fudd? Or, gasp, Richard Simmons??? Just curious.

( FYI on this same point: www.jamesfallows.com/archives/pubs/atlantic_monthly/reading_by_ear An Atlantic article about the way written text comes across different through the eye and through the ear)

Jim,

I’ve just heard - and enjoyed - your NPR “Fresh Air” interview. FWIW, to me, you do sound the way I imagined. Your voice has a quality that I think of as “The NPR Timbre”. Your interviewer has it, as do many of the other NPR personalities and guests. If I had met you in a line waiting to board an airliner (say, at O’Hare), and you had started to talk, I would probably have said “You sound like an NPR person”.

As for your excellent http://www.jamesfallows.com/out.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fissues%2F2001%2F01%2Ffallows.htm Reading By Ear piece, I enjoyed that, too, although for some reason, it didn’t stick in my head as well as your interview did. Perhaps if you’d read it aloud…

• Mike.