Jeppesen Discount for COPA??

Does Jeppesen offer a discount for COPA members?

I just checked pricing on updating the NAV data in my SR20…

$465.00 per year for the GNS430’s
$129.00 for the programmer
$600.00 per year for the EX500C

Optional Flitestar planning software updates $239.00 per year.

It would be great if COPA could negotiate a deal with Jeppesen as many COPA members will be required to purchase these updates.

Wayne Harris - SR20 #993 - 8127B - Everything

In reply to:

It would be great if COPA could negotiate a deal with Jeppesen as many COPA members will be required to purchase these updates.

Wayne,
I’ve taken two runs at this, both completely fruitless. Jepp has us over a barrel, and they know it (no competition), and anyway, at 1,000 members, we hardly register as a drop in their bucket.

We need competition here!

• Mike.

wayne - Im emailing you on this.

Perhaps a more fruitful avenue would be to find another data provider. Is there any company that could reformat the public domain chart information into formats acceptable to Garmin/Avidyne? A COPA-sponsored effort to do that might get Jepp’s attention.

In reply to:

Is there any company that could reformat the public domain chart information into formats acceptable to Garmin/Avidyne? A COPA-sponsored effort to do that might get Jepp’s attention.

Curt,

I’ll contact you offline about this idea.

• Mike.

I already worked on that earlier in the year. I found that the garmin format was entirely proprietry, covered under a licensing agreement with Jepp and I could get no access to information about it at all.

Avidyne I don’t know about, never tried.

Seems that Jepp puts agreements in place with people they supply data for to lock themselves in as the only content provider.

I have some code to read and reformat the public data, I’ve been messing with it to make what I’ve been calling ‘platelets’, although I haven’t touched it for a while. If anyone finds a way to get garmin or avidyne formats and a way to program the cards, we can take a look.

The legality issues, I won’t even try to comment on, at this point it’s a project of interest only.

Roland

Mike,

Good luck! But having seen Jeppesen’s http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~airboy/images/jepp_logo_ani.movcaring attitude toward customers, I’m not optimistic.

Cheers,
Roger

Roland,

In reply to:

Jepp puts agreements in place with people they supply data for to lock themselves in as the only content provider.

Oh - so they took microsloth lessons…[:(]

In Rply To:
The legality issues, I won’t even try to comment on, at this point it’s a project of interest only.

If you reverse-engineer the system / software, there is no legal issue. It has been done repeatedly. (EX: Intel vs. AMD for PC-type processors embedded firmware). Getting the information dataset approved by the FAA for IFR navigation is another issue…[:(]