Insurance issues and training

As an active CFII Cirrus SR20 owner (N163CD) with Wings Aloft training, I would be able to provide training in your aircraft. I cannot provide Wings Aloft training. But, I could probably do Instrument Checks and BFRs in conjunction with a West Coast Fly-in or you could fly to San Diego. I’m based at MYF. Hope I’m not stepping out of bounds. I dont’t do this for the money; I’m a University Prof. who owns some businesses and loves to fly.

Bill

Bill, you may be able to provide training for all those things, but INSURANCE companies may still require that your student take Wings training regardless of YOUR qualifications. The situation is getting out of hand and I suspect you are likely much more knowledgeable in the Cirrus than most of the Wings folks. I don’t mean this as a put down on Wings, just insurance companies.

As an active CFII Cirrus SR20 owner (N163CD) with Wings Aloft training, I would be able to provide training in your aircraft. I cannot provide Wings Aloft training. But, I could probably do Instrument Checks and BFRs in conjunction with a West Coast Fly-in or you could fly to San Diego. I’m based at MYF. Hope I’m not stepping out of bounds. I dont’t do this for the money; I’m a University Prof. who owns some businesses and loves to fly.

Bill

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that to do ICC and BFR checks the CFI does not necessarily have to be current in type of airplane, only have his/her CFI stuff current. I heard that he or she could even do this without a current medical as long as the “check-ee” is current and is functioning as pilot-in-command.

I thought this was strange when I heard it but it came from a knowledgeable source. Now may be a good time to clarify. Any opinions?

Mike

For those of you on the East side…I am a CFII, trained by Wings Aloft and already insured for instruction…

Bill, you may be able to provide training for all those things, but INSURANCE companies may still require that your student take Wings training regardless of YOUR qualifications. The situation is getting out of hand and I suspect you are likely much more knowledgeable in the Cirrus than most of the Wings folks. I don’t mean this as a put down on Wings, just insurance companies.

Walt, you are right; it is an insurnance company issue that has nothing to do with FARs. My post was to Cirrus owners. You people already have Wings Aloft training. I don’t know any Southern California CFII’s who have had WA training; it does seem a little silly to me to get a BFR from someone who has little or no experience in the aircraft.

Bill

Bill

For those of you on the East side…I am a CFII, trained by Wings Aloft and already insured for instruction…

Susan:

Based on the latests posts you are quite a rarity in that you are Wings Aloft trained. The real question now is whether you will qualify for “factory training” as some insurance companies seem to be demanding. After we get the Cirrus home and have had our Wings Aloft training, we decide we want to have another pilot added to the policy as a “named insured”. Will instruction with you qualify for that training? You are Wings Aloft trained but you do not work now for Wings Aloft. How will the insurance folks look at you then? Wonder if you could answer that for us?

Thanks,

Brian

My insurance policy is a “named pilot” only policy. The insurance company would not even write my partners and I an open pilot policy. In order for me to continue my IFR training I had to have my CFII put on the policy and she had to take the Wings Aloft training to get onto the policy. I was also told by the insurance company that only a CFI(II) that had Wings Aloft training would be able to give BFR’s or instrument checkouts.

Hope this helps.

Larry, N171CD

Bill

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that to do ICC and BFR checks the CFI does not necessarily have to be current in type of airplane, only have his/her CFI stuff current. I heard that he or she could even do this without a current medical as long as the “check-ee” is current and is functioning as pilot-in-command.

I thought this was strange when I heard it but it came from a knowledgeable source. Now may be a good time to clarify. Any opinions?

Mike

A CFI can give flight instruction without a current medical as long as the pilot can act as PIC, i.e. has a current medical, is rated in the airplane, and has a current BFR. However, instrument instruction could not be given, as the CFI(I) becomes a “required flight crewmember” (safety pilot) as soon as the student pops the hood on, and therefore the CFI(I) must meet the same criteria.

Gordon

Bill

Mike