IFR Instruction, one person's experience

For the benefit of others who are contemplating IFR training I will relate my recent training experience.

I decided to undertake one of the accelerated courses with the objective of making the most efficient use of my time and passing the check ride before my new bird is ready. I started by purchasing the King IFR course on CD. I found the course to be excellent and easily passed the written test.

For my accelerated flight training I chose a nationally known school and scheduled my training six months out knowing I could easily complete the written material in that time.

Shortly before I was to begin training I was notified that my scheduled instructor would no longer be teaching and that another instructor would be scheduled. The new instructor had tens of thousands of hours of flight time and instrument instruction time, all of which sounded good to me. Based on the reputation of the school I accepted this with out question (You might guess that this is the reason I am writing and that it was a mistake. If you did you are right as you will soon see.)

Training started well however I began noticing a few things. However, being severely goal orientated I ignored these focusing on the objective.

As not to bore you I wonÂ’t dwell on the company who employ instructors who have not had a physical or a check ride in years, need glasses but wonÂ’t buy another pair and think there are not any other planes near the VOR where you are practicing holds (sneaking a look while checking the magnetic compass can be scary), employee instructors who in there most recent jobs limited themselves to check rides only, declining to teach. While there is more I think you already get the picture.

I hope my experience was isolated, and that others are not lulled into a false sense of security by an instructors hours and the employers reputation. Pick your instrument or any instructor for that matter after doing your homework, check references and sources just as if you were hiring a critical employee or buying a 50 year old airplane.

By all means get your IFR ticket, it will make you a better pilot, not to mention the flights you will not have to cancel due to weather.

For the benefit of others who are contemplating IFR training I will relate my recent training experience.

I decided to undertake one of the accelerated courses with the objective of making the most efficient use of my time and passing the check ride before my new bird is ready. I started by purchasing the King IFR course on CD. I found the course to be excellent and easily passed the written test.

For my accelerated flight training I chose a nationally known school and scheduled my training six months out knowing I could easily complete the written material in that time.

Shortly before I was to begin training I was notified that my scheduled instructor would no longer be teaching and that another instructor would be scheduled. The new instructor had tens of thousands of hours of flight time and instrument instruction time, all of which sounded good to me. Based on the reputation of the school I accepted this with out question (You might guess that this is the reason I am writing and that it was a mistake. If you did you are right as you will soon see.)

Training started well however I began noticing a few things. However, being severely goal orientated I ignored these focusing on the objective.

As not to bore you I wonÂ’t dwell on the company who employ instructors who have not had a physical or a check ride in years, need glasses but wonÂ’t buy another pair and think there are not any other planes near the VOR where you are practicing holds (sneaking a look while checking the magnetic compass can be scary), employee instructors who in there most recent jobs limited themselves to check rides only, declining to teach. While there is more I think you already get the picture.

I hope my experience was isolated, and that others are not lulled into a false sense of security by an instructors hours and the employers reputation. Pick your instrument or any instructor for that matter after doing your homework, check references and sources just as if you were hiring a critical employee or buying a 50 year old airplane.

By all means get your IFR ticket, it will make you a better pilot, not to mention the flights you will not have to cancel due to weather.

Above is very good advice. Had similar experience with high timer with ratings and type ratings that filled up his card geting my instrument rating before moving on to a more competent instructor.

Spent alot of time in “haze” that to me was actually IFR (his idea was that if you could see the ground it was VFR). Also was big on taking off under the hood using instruments (After doing this once I told him never again bubba, if the weather is ever that bad I’m staying on the ground. Another “fun” task was holds around a point made up of an NDB bearing and a VOR radial.

Wasted alot of airtime with this guy.

Sometimes the student must exercise his right as the employer.

Mike

I feel the pain of both of these pilots and the many others who share their feelings. As a current MEII I see this type of frustration everyday. It is hard for us instructors, as it is for everybody else in the training industry to maintain the quality off life we would like. Whether you are a highschool english teacher or a flight instructor, teaching is a severely underpaid profession and the result of that is begining to show as the best and the brightest teachers move on to a more financially secure career. I don’t mind teaching and many times it is very rewarding but it does not pay the bills. Making 10-20 dollars an hour it is hard to stay motivated and challenged especially when the aviation industry is experiencing the growth it is. The only advice I can give is to remember that most of the skills and knowledge involved in flying can be achieved on your own time. Either “desk” flying or reading can dramatically improve your experience. We as pilots have to stick together so if you can never fly with an empty seat and fly as often as you can utilizing all of the resources ATC and the FAA have to offer. Most of them are free. Good luck!

Above is very good advice. Had similar experience with high timer with ratings and type ratings that filled up his card geting my instrument rating before moving on to a more competent instructor.

Spent alot of time in “haze” that to me was actually IFR (his idea was that if you could see the ground it was VFR). Also was big on taking off under the hood using instruments (After doing this once I told him never again bubba, if the weather is ever that bad I’m staying on the ground. Another “fun” task was holds around a point made up of an NDB bearing and a VOR radial.

Wasted alot of airtime with this guy.

Sometimes the student must exercise his right as the employer.

Mike