Ice incounter of the worst kind

Marty:

The ACR manual version (Globalfix 406) is listed for $875.00 at www.pyacht.com. I’m looking at getting one pretty soon. Maybe we can get a volume discount if you’re interested.

John Kinsey
N623SK

In reply to:

You didn’t ask me, but the Pains Wessex - McMurdo does look good on paper. I foud prices of $ 999 excl VAT.

I made some inquiries and was told that this device isn’t available in the USA yet, but probably would be approved for distribution here ~ July. Looks great!

In reply to:

You have spent ~ $10,000 for a parachute in the airplane. The ~ $1,000 for a GPIRB is probably more important as a safety device in terms of its potential for saving your life. The 'chute is useless if it just brings you to a place where you die of exposure while waiting to get rescued. While this is more of a concern out here in the rugged West, that Lebanon NH lost Lear points out the fact that the East has the potential for this type of tragedy as well.

Gordon: Granted. You are 100% correct and I have no defense for my cheapness, and I readily admit that there is often a lack of logic in these decisions. The same logic you cite also applies to almost all items that you hope to never use, be it insurance, life rafts, life vests, fire extinguishers, survival kits, carrying winter clothes, water, Skywatch, deice equipment, back-up systems, etc. They all cost money, space and or weight, and unless you need to use 'em, they are totally useless. Bu, if you ever need them, they are worth every penny you spent.

I also carry a handheld radio, which has it’s limitations, but also many more uses. Life is full of compromises.

Most of those items also have one other thing in common: They can be totally useless unless you know how to use them and are proficient. (soapbox off.)

Marty

In reply to:

You didn’t ask me, but the Pains Wessex - McMurdo does look good on paper. I foud prices of $ 999 excl VAT.

I made some inquiries and was told that this device isn’t available in the USA yet, but probably would be approved for distribution here ~ July. Looks great!

I checked West Marine Online and found both the ACRPains Wessex McMurdo models were in stock for $1199 and $1399 respectively. The catalog pages use some terms that I didn’t understand but I found the West Marine EPIRB comparison chart very helpful. Note: these products are called “EPIRB with GPS” rather than GPIRB [H]. By the way, each is 3 pounds.

Cheers
Rick

I know what you mean, Marty. If I spent $500 to a $1000 for every gadget I would like, well, I’d run out of money even faster! You can’t take it with you, right? I did finally get an oximeter and CO detector based on the discussions of this forum. That will have to hold me for a while. I do agree that a portable radio could be very worthwhile in the event of a downed aircraft…not as nice as a GPIRB but worthwhile none the less.

In reply to:

The ACR manual version (Globalfix 406) is listed for $875.00 at http://www.pyacht.com

Wow! Great price! Lowest I’ve seen. Thanks for the reference. That unit shown in the attachment is exactly what I have.

I took the liberty of calling pyacht.com to inquire of availability. They do not carry any inventory, ordering from wholesalers to fill orders. I ask for them to get back to me with quantity purchase prices. I will post an update when I hear from them.

Rick: Great research thanks. Following your lead, I found the Pains-Wesses unit for under $1,000 at this place.

Or even better here here.

Looks like these things are getting into my prices range. Gordon, I may run out of excuses soon! [;)]

Marty

The FastFind Plus model can be found here

http://www.gps.co.uk/htmfiles/surveqip/fastfind.htm

for slightly more than $ 1000,=

Jaap

I checked with pyatch.com (Performance Yacht) they do not stock the items, ordering from a wholesaler when they receive an order. They are unable to provide any additional discount and indicate the price is good to 15 March with a limited supply. I also checked with West Marine which will only provide the wholesale price of $1,049. Big business cannot compete with internet businesses who do not have overhead associated with carrying inventories.

I also found the Pains Wessex SOS Precision 406 GPS EPIRB at West Marine and I am attracted to this unit as it appears to have some newer technology. The retail price is also $1,199 for these units.

While there are less expensive units they either only broadcast an emergency signal on 406 with a local signal on 121.5 or for more $$ they offer the ability to connect to a remote GPS for location information. Neither of these options are as attractive to me. With so many web sites offering deep discounts I wonder if the model is going out of production to be replaced by a new unit. Looks like a great time to buy.

I called the tech guru at ACR and was told that their GPIRB is the latest technology they have. There are the presonal units which do not have the internal GPS and a year or more out there will be smaller units with GPS replacing the current leading technology, no estimates of price.

I am planning on ordering a unit today.

Keep the dirty side down.