How do I file to pick up a clearance in the air?

[
[/quote]

[ I’m not sure if it was the volume of traffic leaving Oshkosh or differences in regions but, again, I’ve never had that happen in the SE.
[/quote]

Eddie,
It was OSH. The OSH notams specify that IFR popups will NOT be accepted by Chicago Center during that time period. Otherwise popups are easy out here.
Ed,

In reply to:

I routinely ask for an IFR “pop-up” clearance to get down through a broken layer, at night if

I have thought about this alot . . . Shouldn’t it be a “pop-down clearance” or isn’t their a more appropriate phrase that describes the goal.

Anyhow, I hear that ATC is installing French Pop-Up Stoppers on their new computers.

In reply to:

The OSH notams specify…

Gee, I must have missed that NOTAM! ; - )

In reply to:

If the point of departure you filed was KVGT, I’m not surprised that they didn’t find it. When I want to depart VFR for one of the many advantages of doing so but want to end up IFR I often will file an IFR flight plan with the departure point being a VOR enroute

I think that’s what I did. I filed BLD blah blah, with BLD as my pick up point.

I think the problem is ATC might have not put down my correct tail number. (I finally heard a 228AZ call to me, but by then I was half way home!)

Walt

In reply to:

(I finally heard a 228AZ call to me, but by then I was half way home!)

Walt,
Reminds me of a mistake I made many years ago. For days, I’d been working in our datacomms lab, upgrading racks of 1200 bps modems and other equipment to 2400 bps (YEEHA!). But the weekend came, complete with great weather, so I took a colleague on a short flight, which I accomplished VFR with flight following. When I had my destination airport in sight, ATC said “Squawk VFR” - so I squawked 2400… Hey, it made sense at the time! [:D]

• Mike.
1 Like

Mike,

With that in mind, I’ll keep my tel number out of MY mind (7700) [:)]

Walt