Hangar Rash Stories

Hi all,

Hi everyone,

I’m putting some thoughts together but need some anecdotal stories regarding unfortunate hangar rash events. Please share your or someone else’s story so we can all learn. Remember to change the dates, names, and location to protect the innocent. [:D]

Feel free to post a your story or simply email to lars@tangoten.com.

Thanks,

Lars Jensen

My story: Never be in a hurry!

I have a hangar with a Bi-Fold door. So, in haste to back my 2002 SR22 out of the hangar, I ran the tail rudder straight into the bottom of the door as it was rising.

It made a large karate chop dent into the rudder. Learned that you cannot repair the Aluminum control surface ( apparently aluminum only bends in one direction and not back again …well)

As luck would have it , I was told I got the last electric controled rudder they had! ???

About 3.5K-ish mistake.

Hi. My name is Squid. It’s not my real name, but you said to change it so nobody would know.

When I was in the Navy Air Force, I had a rash. A lot of other squids did too. One night, during training, they even showed us a training video about this kind of stuff. They said that it was because we hung around hangars, so I understand what you mean. Personally, I don’t think it was the hangars that caused the rash, cause what we did on our free time, we didn’t do in the hangars that gave us the rash. Fortunately, there was a cure for the hangar rash; some pills, you know, taken twice a day. Well, the hangar rash eventually went away, but it was really itchy. But that was a long time ago. No hangar rash since then.

Dennis (I mean Squid!),

I knew I could count on you for a comedic response!

Thanks db!

You are not the only one. I’ve heard of this happening many times. Thanks for sharing your story.

Lars

Squid, I remember the same film and same rash. But I think mine went away a lot faster than yours did, I had a better Flight Surgeon at Pcola than you did. Thanks for the laugh.

Rick

Personally witnessed an electric tug (brand name being withheld) that was pushing a premier jet into a hangar. When the person pushing said tug let off the ‘forward’ button, apparently the contactor (im assuming it used a contactor) got stuck and continued to push the aircraft right into a steel i-beam causing considerable amount of damage.

While I use an electric tug/tow… I’m always ready to hit that master kill switch, and you all should be as well. Contactors DO stick at times, and there are no failsafes except the master contactor to shut it down.

GordonJS, thanks a bunch. That’s a major safety consideration when operating those tugs. They are small but in some cases weigh several tons. If a failed electric switch/throttle doesn’t fail in the “off” position or the “Master Kill Switch” is MEL’d with a piece of duct tape over the button, then imagine what could happen to a person who gets pinched.

Thanks again for all the input everyone. Like I said before, I’m putting some thoughts together and the Cirrus community has always been ready to offer their tips and experiences. Keep them coming and hope to see you all at M10!

Lars Jensen

Once upon a time there was a pilot who had a hangar with only 6" clearance on each wingtip. He was very careful and never had a problem.

Then he got a bigger hangar, with a couple of feet clearance. Happy, happy! Don’t have to be so careful anymore.

Note to self: When allowing larger turns, the tail swings MUCH farther than the wingtips. Not a good idea in a T-hangar. Not so happy.

Ok, I couldn’t tell you if I cried or laughed when I saw this picture. I think its authentic but one never truly knows for sure.

6765.ooops01.jpg

Now this I know is true. I’m good friends with the chief pilot of one of the Global Express that found itself “rotating” at zero knots. Amazingly, the owner of the airplane was able to stomach the incident and got another Global.

6371.Hangar Collapse.jpg

Lars–it is a real one, I read about this a few years back------the fire suppression system went off by mistake—what a mess!!!

This is my favourite.