handling xwind landings...

As a new pilot and someone considering plopping down big bucks for what seems a wonderful recreational plane for the money, I have a few questions you might be able to help out with. I’m only VFR rated and can’t claim to have mastered >12 knot crosswinds and/or variable/gusty landings in a Cessna 152.

So just how does the SR20 compare in such landing situations? Seems like it would be easy to scrape the wingtips in a strong crosswind landing!

The Cessnas are considered to have pretty decent stability - any comments regarding the SR20’s stability?

And as far as the parachute is concerned, I would imagine that it has to be very difficult to make the decision to deploy it - just when would you make that decision? If you stalled on base to final, would you pull the cord then? Obviously you have to pull the cord when you have enough altitude remaining and after trying other recovery procedures - but when? Since I’ve never had a real emergency I wonder if I’ll know it’s time to pull the cord instead of trying to land - I guess if I were over water, I’d pull it instead of trying to ditch it, right? Anybody else given this topic any thought? I presume no one has had to deploy the 'chute yet, right?

So just how does the SR20 compare in such landing situations? Seems like it would be easy to scrape the wingtips in a strong crosswind landing!
I had the same fear when I transitioned to a low-wing plane after learning in Cessnas. The fact is that unless you are driving a 747, you will not scrape a wingtip in a cross-wind landing. The angle of bank when cross-controlled seems exaggerated by your proximity to the ground. Try watching other planes land in a strong cross-wind and see just how close the wingtips are to the ground. Your fears will be allayed.
The SR20 POH says “maximum demonstrated crosswind is 19 knots. This value is not considered limiting.” IOW, someone has landed it in a 19 knot crosswind, but Cirrus consider the plane could handle higher - whether the pilot could is another question. I’m not about to try!
The Cessnas are considered to have pretty decent stability - any comments regarding the SR20’s stability?
I can’t comment from personal experience, but other’s comments indicated it is stable. Moving from a 150 to an SR20 should be no problem - the 150 is quite responsive compared to the larger Cessnas.
And as far as the parachute is concerned, I would imagine that it has to be very difficult to make the decision to deploy it - just when would you make that decision?
Again, the POH has some guidance on this, but avoids spelling out hard and fast rules.
If you stalled on base to final, would you pull the cord then?
I doubt there would be time, but I also consider that a fairly easy situation to avoid. I personally feel that if you were so oblivious to the plane that you allowed that to happen, you are unlikely to be going to react fast enough to get the chute out in time. For that situation, some unusual attitude recovery training would be more useful, I think. You have to be ready to put the nose down without hesitation, kick in opposite rudder and apply full throttle, all at the same time. Some aerobatic training will give you this conditioning and be a lot fo fun too.

I guess if I were over water, I’d pull it instead of trying to ditch it, right?

Yes, and the POH recommends this. Engine failure at night away from an airfield is another situation I’d use it in.

Anybody else given this topic any thought? I presume no one has had to deploy the 'chute yet, right?

Right - the only situation that has arisen where it would have been the best choice was the crash of #1001, and unfortunately since it was a test aircraft, it did not have the chute.

I’m sure lots of people have thought about it, but no-one can give you hard and fast rules - you have to assess the situation when it arises.

I have thought about when to use the parachute and talked to others and you will get many opinions. Obviously if you can land in an open field that is the best choice. That was done when the Windy City Flyers SR20 had an engine failure and the only damage was to the pitot tube. If you are out of control for some reason you might as well pull the chute- there is nothing else you can do. A night or IFR engine failure would be another good time to use it. I think the reccomendation is to deploy the chute at or above 900 ft. But somewhere I have read you can get full deployment in 350 ft. -I think assuming you were in level flight. If I lost an engine after take off and saw that I was going to hit the wall of a factory building I would pull the chute no matter what the altitude. I would rather hit it at 35K or whatever it slowed to rather than 75K. Also the chute tends to pitch the nose up a little which might buffer the impact. As for ditching I would use the chute because at least you would be right side up. I had to get out of an upside down plane in Navy flight training (practice, not an actual accident) and I wouldn’t want to do it again, let alone try to get 1-3 passengers out.

And as far as the parachute is concerned, I would imagine that it has to be very difficult to make the decision to deploy it - just when would you make that decision? If you stalled on base to final, would you pull the cord then? Obviously you have to pull the cord when you have enough altitude remaining and after trying other recovery procedures - but when? Since I’ve never had a real emergency I wonder if I’ll know it’s time to pull the cord instead of trying to land - I guess if I were over water, I’d pull it instead of trying to ditch it, right? Anybody else given this topic any thought? I presume no one has had to deploy the 'chute yet, right?

I really appreciate the feedback Clyde!

Thanks. And thanks for this terrific forum!

I’m sure there are many other people, yet to post, who read these conversations and find them as useful as I do.