Goods and bads of Arnav

Goods:

1. Been doing a lot of busy-airspace, LA/SF area trips, realizing how valuable the big display is. Really, all it takes is a trip with the screen out of service, as I had during a recent updating, to appreciate its value. You see a LOT more than on the Garmins.

2. Engine monitoring and (expensive) PFD news shows company is at least moving forward.

Bads:

Yesterday was doing an IFR/IMC descent into Burbank, BUR. Controllers told me to descend to 6000 feet, which caused a momentary heart stoppage when I saw, on the Arnav, a 7727-foot peak more or less in my path, just northeast of the Santa Paula airport, SZP. I rustled around for a quick look at my VFR sectional and terminal-area chart. To my relief, I found that no such peak exists. (The nearest real mountain is 4957-feet, but it’s several miles to the north of the phantom 7727 peak.) My relief lasted exactly for the duration of the approach; after that I was peeved.

The silver lining is that I’ve never encountered the reverse: a peak that exists in the real world but is not reported on ARNAV. This kind of error, like the one Walt reported about Palm Springs, is annoying but not life-threatening, as the other would be.

On the cost of the new PFD/MFD from Arnav:

The $50,000 cost for the display induces heart-stoppage of its own. HOWEVER, the price is for a two-display pack, which includes the existing Arnav MFD. Since that goes for something like $15k on its own, the marginal cost of the PFD display is approx $35k. That is more spare money than I have, but I suppose is defensible in terms of all the gyros and other displays it would replace, plus ergonomic benefits.

It does raise the question, though, of how redundant the electric supplies are and what would happen if the power failed. No doubt they’ve thought about this – just curious what the solution is.

Could result in a serious situation, circumventing an imaginary ARNAV mountain in IMC. Fortunately, you were able to handle it. Someone else might panic and lose it. You get the Cirrus Super Pilot Award this month.

Yesterday was doing an IFR/IMC descent into Burbank, BUR. Controllers told me to descend to 6000 feet, which caused a momentary heart stoppage when I saw, on the Arnav, a 7727-foot peak more or less in my path, just northeast of the Santa Paula airport, SZP. I rustled around for a quick look at my VFR sectional and terminal-area chart. To my relief, I found that no such peak exists. (The nearest real mountain is 4957-feet, but it’s several miles to the north of the phantom 7727 peak.) My relief lasted exactly for the duration of the approach; after that I was peeved.

The silver lining is that I’ve never encountered the reverse: a peak that exists in the real world but is not reported on ARNAV. This kind of error, like the one Walt reported about Palm Springs, is annoying but not life-threatening, as the other would be.

It does raise the question, though, of how redundant the electric supplies are and what would happen if the power failed. No doubt they’ve thought about this – just curious what the solution is.

Jim,

I had a good conversation with John Glaisyer of ARNAV. Among my questions was “Since this hardware is based on the ICDS 2000, and since the ICDS 2000 is designed specifically for - and is installed solely in - the Cirrus SR2X airplanes, is it reasonable to assume that this product is aimed at Cirrus?”.

John couldn’t answer that question specifically, but he made it clear that this is an important product for ARNAV; it will likely be at least considered by Cirrus.

As for redundancy etc., he did mention that although it is designed to be a PFD (Primary Flight Display), it will be certified only in installations that include a backup set of conventional instruments.

BTW (Harrel, Andy B, et al), I’ve found John Glaisyer to be accessible, knowledgable and responsive.

• Mike

As for redundancy etc., he did mention that although it is designed to be a PFD (Primary Flight Display), it will be certified only in installations that include a backup set of conventional instruments.

Yes/ That’s true for all of these current/expected glass cockpits. Look in a new 1.8M dollar MAGIC Piper Meridien and you’ll see a trusty set of “old fashioned” gizmos in there. Ditto the Lancair.

Though with the Cirrus it’s going to take some creative panel work. That’s the price you pay for an amazing view of the world - not a lot of panel room.

Could result in a serious situation, circumventing an imaginary ARNAV mountain in IMC.

That’s exactly the point; some like to hear it or not!

However congratulations Jim.