Garmin GPS and &quotDirect&quot

For those of you that have been using your Garmin for IFR, have you normally been “cleared, as filed” when filing IFR flight plans “direct” to your destination?

I fly in the SE US with an IFR GPS ( though not in a Cirrus due to the lack of six seats )

I’d say that I’m cleared direct about 90% of the time. I file direct almost always.

Clark

I really depends. In uncongested areas direct clearances are common. On the other hand if you’re going from one metro area to another you will almost always be first cleared to a departure fix. Then you may get direct to your destination but eventually you will be recleared to an approach fix. Even if your clearance is “as filed” don’t be surprised if you get a reroute enroute. If you are operating in a major area you can get a good idea of the departure and approach fixes by looking at the FAA preferred routes and the SID/STARS for the areas.

For example when I fly from my home airport (DPA) in the Chicago suburbs to PDK in Atlanta if I file for direct I will be cleared to PDK via radar vectors RBS then direct. Once in the air I will often be cleared direct PDK but as I approach Atlanta I’ll be recleared to GQO and the BUNNI arrival to PDK. Might as well file that route in the first place.

In the other direction the clearance will always be to Nello then direct but as I get closer to Chicago I’ll be recleared to JOT then direct DPA.

You simply have to know the local procedures. In any event it never hurts to file direct. Just understand that the busier the airspace you’re going from/to, the less likely you’ll actually fly direct.

Jerry Seckler

For those of you that have been using your Garmin for IFR, have you normally been “cleared, as filed” when filing IFR flight plans “direct” to your destination?

I fly in the SE
I’d say that I’m cleared direct about 90% of the time. I file direct almost always.

Clark

SOunds like a good reason to move to the SE!

In the SF Bay area, in the LA Basin, and now along the east coast corridor, I’ve given up trying the “file direct” ruse. A little while ago I had a flight from New England to the DC area. I had filed a plan with three or four main VOR waypoints. When I called up to get my clearance, it had about 25 intersections, waypoints, victor airway doglegs, etc. Give me the wide open spaces!

In the SF Bay area, in the LA Basin, and now along the east coast corridor, I’ve given up trying the “file direct” ruse. A little while ago I had a flight from New England to the DC area. I had filed a plan with three or four main VOR waypoints. When I called up to get my clearance, it had about 25 intersections, waypoints, victor airway doglegs, etc. Give me the wide open spaces!

Nah, it just depends on what time you fly. Saturday night I heard a cargo heavy depart LAX cleared direct SFO. Of course, it was one in the morning at the time.

I fly in the SE

Clark

You’re right Jim, but as you cross the Mason-Dixon Line the airspace opens up. Based out of RDU and going north I always can expect clearance amendments. South and West go direct. Hopefully, in Oct, our 22 will enable us to fly in the teens and get more direct routing to the NE.

N122CG

Hello Jim F,

Welcome to the NE corridor. Here is a common flight, Dulles, VA (IAD) to Wilmington, DE (ILG): Depart IAD go west then turn north, then east, then Southeast, by now my GPS odemeter says 88NM, I am now 30 from my departing point, then I go north to ILG, on the return I first go northwest for 30 miles. Go figure… Here is the secret that you are not supposed to know. ATC must keep all airplanes in the air so they can log more airplances and more talk to pilots, this will come around and give them pay raises and hopefully new equipment. Just bring plenty of gas…

Cheers,

Woor

I fly in the SE

Clark