G3 vs. G2 what should I get

I suspect you all have answered this a 1000 times, but would love some seasoned advice. I currently fly a 99 Piper Archer and am about 2/3 through my IFR training (160 hrs total). I live in No. Cal. and would like to trade up in early '08 after I get my IFR done. My family of 4 weighs about 475# and growing (kids are 5 & 7) and most of our trips will and down the coast (300-700nm). I want A/C and O2.

So do I get a G3, G3Turbo, or G2 w/ac…cost is always a concern, but I don’t want to get “old technology” or be needing to upgrade in a year or 2.

Help!

Kevin

That’s a pretty easy mission for any SR22. The best bargain will be a used G2 airframe (or G1 for that matter). I’m perfectly happy with my “ancient” 6-pack SR22. You should test fly both the G2 and G3 to see if the differences in how they handle are important to you.

I wouldn’t worry too much about having “old technology”. Cirrus is constantly making improvements, so in a year or two, there’s bound to be something to make even the newest plane of today seem like old technology. For example, the L3 SmartDeck avionics suite may find its way into the SR22 in the next year. For now, I prefer to stay away from brand new planes so if I ever get the urge or mission requirement to upgrade, I’ve minimized the depreciation hit.

Finally, there are many more answers to be found on the member forums. If you join COPA, it will be the best $50 you’ll ever spend in aviation.

I’m also wondering what to get. I just found this SR22 Blog of a new owner who answers some of the questions (like turbo vs. non-turbo):

http://sr22.wordpress.com/

by the way, is he right about the Turbo performance?

Demo the turbo. Its hard for most folks to understand how capable the plane is until they fly one. The only warning I would put out there is the turbo may make you want a turbine.

I would consider finishing your Instrument Rating in a SR22, either yours or rented. The hours you spend in the Archer are almost “throw away” if you intend to fly your Cirrus IFR. (Unless you are using Garmin 430’s in the Archer). The avionics are way beyond what you can absorb in Cirrus’s transition training course.

I just sold (today) my 2007 SR22 (non turbo) GTS with air and oxygen. So I have no axe to grind! Unless you are flying in mountains forget the turbo. It adds weight and cost and isn’t used to the fullest extent by most pilots. Flying at flight levels is a serious pain when wearing a full-face oxygen mask. Buy a slightly used 2005-07 G2. In 7 months of ownership I took a $60K loss on the sale of my plane. That will buy a damn nice car! If you buy new expect it to be “outdated” within months. That is the good thing and the bad thing about a Cirrus. You will get the latest and greatest in technology that, like a computer, is out of date very quickly.

That said. Buy a Cirrus! You won’t find a better overall aircraft!

In reply to:

I just sold (today) my 2007 SR22 (non turbo) GTS with air and oxygen. So I have no axe to grind! Unless you are flying in mountains forget the turbo. It adds weight and cost and isn’t used to the fullest extent by most pilots.

One other thing; if you intend to follow that advice, DO NOT TEST FLY A TURBO. It could be an expensive ride.