DLH to BFI - IFR Routing

After I pick up my SR22 (#062 July 19) I plan to head out to Seattle for an extra week of training with Wings Aloft (I’m instrument rated but have been out of the cockpit for 12 years). This will be my first trans-continent at the lower altitudes. Since I don’t have supplemental oxygen (by the way, a lot of interesting postings earlier this month on that subject), I need to do this below 12,500’ if I’m going to file IFR and be legal.

Looking at L-9/L-10 it appears that V-2 affords my only opportunity to cross the Rockies up north; and that puts me at 12,000’ westbound and 11,000’ eastbound due to the MEA on certain segments. Any tips out there on the safest/best way to make this trip. I didn’t look at anything south of what’s shown on L-9/L-10.

Bob Mihocik

“Bagger”

Did the trip in my new SR20 about a year ago (Duluth - Bismarck - Great Falls - Spokane - BFI). Part VFR/part IFR. (Story is on the stories page of this forum). Your best source of wisdome are the great CFI folks at Wings Aloft @BFI, they must have made the trip DLH-BFI numerous times. Ask for Kevin Lane Cummings and he’ll be more than happy to give you advice!

Cheers and an enjoyable trip. The Rockies are awesome to fly over.

HK

After I pick up my SR22 (#062 July 19) I plan to head out to Seattle for an extra week of training with Wings Aloft (I’m instrument rated but have been out of the cockpit for 12 years). This will be my first trans-continent at the lower altitudes. Since I don’t have supplemental oxygen (by the way, a lot of interesting postings earlier this month on that subject), I need to do this below 12,500’ if I’m going to file IFR and be legal.

Looking at L-9/L-10 it appears that V-2 affords my only opportunity to cross the Rockies up north; and that puts me at 12,000’ westbound and 11,000’ eastbound due to the MEA on certain segments. Any tips out there on the safest/best way to make this trip. I didn’t look at anything south of what’s shown on L-9/L-10.

Bob Mihocik

“Bagger”