Disconnecting the autopilot

When I press the coolie-hat switch down to disconnect the autopilot, I sometimes have to press it a few times (and, naturally, I press harder each time). It always disconnects eventually, but sometimes it’s a little frustrating. It seems to behave the same way on the copilot’s side.

Question: Is this normal, or do I have a fault somewhere?

When I press the coolie-hat switch down to disconnect the autopilot, I sometimes have to press it a few times (and, naturally, I press harder each time). It always disconnects eventually, but sometimes it’s a little frustrating. It seems to behave the same way on the copilot’s side.

On ours you have to hold it for a moment then release…Ed

When I press the coolie-hat switch down to disconnect the autopilot, I sometimes have to press it a few times (and, naturally, I press harder each time

The trick is to press precisely downwards, without moving the trim. It is a little tricky, but I find I get it first time almost every time lately.

My experience mirors Clyde’s. Given that it’s a little tricky, I put a small dot of velcro (hook side) on top of the AP circuit breaker, so I can quickly feel it in the event that I need to disconnect and the traditional method doesn’t work.

Thanks all for the answers. I’ll give the “precise press” a try. Andy, your idea is excellent, and I’ve already implemented it - but it solves a different problem!

• Mike.