Denver to Vermont planning

am planning a cross country trip from Denver to Vermont , and am looking for a good overnight stop in Indiana give or take a few hundred miles,

Looking for a friendly airport, nearby hotel, good foor etc

any suggestions,?

I was thinking about crossing Lake Michigan (75 miles over water), but I chickened out , (I don’t want you guys writing about me)

thanks ’
fred w

Lafayette Indiana is a good stop - LAF. Stopped there a couple of weeks ago.

Jeff

I was thinking about crossing Lake Michigan (75 miles over water), but I chickened out , (I don’t want you guys writing about me)<<

On the southern tip, You’ll likely never be out of glide distance from land (certainly in range of at least 20 boats), and you have a parachute! I’d feel comfortable taking that plane several hundred miles over water.

I’ve crosse the lake, even at the wider points, a bunch of times. Just don’t change anything enginewise - power, fuel, whatever - while over water.

And regarding the parachust over lake Michigan: it’s not the landing I’d worry about if I had to ditch in the lake, it’s the water temp.[:O]

JB

In reply to:

I’d feel comfortable taking that plane several hundred miles over water.

So would I. Well, kinda comfortable.

How much more time does that suit give you in cold water ?

In reply to:

How much more time does that suit give you in cold water ?

6-8 hours, but you will be very hypothermic by the end.

Or I should say in the end – my survival training instructor actually did the testing, which involved 7 hours in 35 degree water, with a thermometer probe … in his end.

I wonder at what point the water bothered him more than the, err, probe?

In reply to:

I wonder at what point the water bothered him more than the, err, probe?

So if I’m bobbing in Lake Michigan, that’s where I need to stick my finger to check my health status?

Andy & Fred,

I’m suprised it took you guys this long to pile onto that comment! I would have done it when it came out, but I was waiting for you guys and of course Jim or Rick! I thought I would be civil once and let something go!

LOL Yes, that would be an interesting challenge while you are waiting for the rescue chopper. This might be an upgrade option on a new PLB.

In reply to:

Andy & Fred,

I’m suprised it took you guys this long to pile onto that comment! I would have done it when it came out, but I was waiting for you guys and of course Jim or Rick! I thought I would be civil once and let something go!

Joe,

You know my mind is always in the gutter. So I figured, just for kicks, I would initially show some restraint here, as well. Speaking of Rick, where the heck is he? Did he skip town and head for his double-wide in Grand Cayman.

In reply to:

LOL Yes, that would be an interesting challenge while you are waiting for the rescue chopper. This might be an upgrade option on a new PLB.

For one thing, I should learn to swim better with one arm. I would prefer the PLB upgrade option as well.

[quote]
For one thing, I should learn to swim better with one arm.

[quote]
ROTFLMAO