Decision to sell

In reply to:

Correct me if I’m wrong, Art, but the last two times I was at Airways, a ferry pilot was in charge of your plane

That is essentially correct. When I take to plane to Airways (and more than 1 day is required for the work being done), I fly it to LNS, pickup the ferry pilot, fly back to GAI, and the ferry pilot takes the plane back to LNS. When the plane is ready he flies it from LNS to GAI, I fly him back to LNS, and then I return to GAI. I just checked my logs and the only flights I made since November (3) have been to get the plane to the service center. I suspect I will get checked out in a 182 at the local FBO and see if I can enjoy flying again.

In reply to:

I suspect I will get checked out in a 182 at the local FBO and see if I can enjoy flying again.

…So, does this mean you will be joining the Cessna pilot organization and participating in their forum?

In reply to:

So, does this mean you will be joining the Cessna pilot organization and participating in their forum?

If I decide on a Cessna, certainly. Although in spite of my experience with Cirrus, I have not ruled out Diamond, which although a new design seems to have far fewer problems than Cirrus.

Art: As I’ve said before, I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your “Cirrus Ownership Experience.” I really do think that you have had a plane with some problems, but a significant part of your dissatisfaction comes from your excessively high expectations and poor management of the service process.

I do hope that you and your partner are happier with the new plane and have learned something about aircraft ownership.

Clear skies and tailwinds,

In reply to:

…a significant part of your dissatisfaction comes from your excessively high expectations…

Oh, I don’t know. Art complains a lot but he has a lot to complain about. I think any fair analysis of his aircraft problems would conclude that his airplane fell short of even the most modest of expectations of a new and revolutionary aircraft.

William:

I have a PowerPulse desulfator attached to my AeroTow tug that has two 12 volt batteries in series for it’s 24 volt motor.
I also have cables to connect through the ground power connector on the Cirrus. I do not have a connection directly to battery 1.

Can you post details (photos?) of the connection to battery 1? Is the connection made through the oil filler door? Is the wire to the battery fused? Did you permanently mount a connector on the aircraft? Do you have the link to the manufacturer of the desulfator/minder?

I have a 24V desulfator in a cessna so I can’t comment on wiring in cirri. The brand that I bought is “BatteryMINDer” and is made by Deltran. One website that sells them is www.batterymart.com. Several automotive/ tool stores up here in Duluth sell them over the counter as well. Battery hookup is simple with some ring connectors(supplied) that are bolted down to the battery terminals under the terminal nut and then run the small cable to exit a door when parked. Cable is easily disconnected from a male/female connector and retracted interior to the plane when flying. The charger/desulfator pack stays exterior to theplane. This particular brand can charge up to 4 batts at one time, so if you have dual batts in your plane, it should handle both of them.

In reply to:

Only if you assume his reports of the problems with his plane are not as biased as his other comments, complaints, gripes, etc. ad nauseum are. (not bloody likely!)

I am willing to fax my 2 log books (one was not enough to hold all of the fixes) to COPA if they will post them so that others can make their own judgment on whether my problems exist rather than relying on a worthless analysis by someone without any knowledge on the subject.

Art, I find it a shame that as an originally committed Cirrus buyer, many readers on this forum dis-credit you because you don’t like the product anymore. I’m sure you liked Cirrus when you bought it - a quarter-mil purchase is not taken lightly! Anyway, when members critique you for not “maintaining the aircraft properly”…how the he-- do they know what your maintainence regime is!! Their comments were inane. It appears you have bruised some egos from fellow owners who can’t take it that what they think is the finest aircraft made…you have reinforced that maybe it isn’t. The way I read it is that you tried your best to resolve the issues, but the aircraft is not worthy of keeping…exercise your rights and buy any aircraft that meets your needs.

Enjoy flying!!

In reply to:

I am willing to fax my 2 log books

Seriously (for once) I think that would be valuable. Find a niche for them in the FAQ section. I’d love to see them.

Title it something like “Art’s UN-Excellent Adventure”

In reply to:

Anyway, when members critique you for not “maintaining the aircraft properly”…how the he-- do they know what your maintainence regime is!!

We don’t.

In reply to:

Their comments were inane.

Maybe, maybe not.

My problem is that Art has posted conclusions that suit his attitude but have been shown to be logically inconsistent with the facts he presents. Maybe there are additional facts. Maybe there are different causes. Maybe a different owner with the same issues would have a much different outcome. We don’t know.

But we do know that Art plays fast and loose with his conclusions.

As for the log books for Art’s plane, they may be entertaining. But except as an outlier, (no other owner has admitted to as many problems), they do not resolve the causes of the actions logged – was it the owner, the service center, the manufacturer?

Caveat emptor! [:)]

Cheers
Rick

In reply to:

Seriously (for once) I think that would be valuable. Find a niche for them in the FAQ section. I’d love to see them.

As I said I would love to. I will wait to hear from Mike on how he wants it done. If nothing else it will show potential buyers just how bad owning a Cirrus can get.

In reply to:

I will wait to hear from Mike on how he wants it done.

The forum has mechanisms for you to air your views. You already use some of them. To publish your logs, scan them (or find someone to do it for you) and and attach the .JPG sheets to your posts.

• Mike.

Once that’s done, a cubby in the FAQ section would be handy.

Seriously, as SR20 owners had issues, they could refer there to see the history and resolution (or lack thereof) of various issues.

In lieu of that, maybe there’s a home @ http://www.bedichek.org/cirrus.html which seems to be an under-used resource.

In reply to:

The forum has mechanisms for you to air your views. You already use some of them. To publish your logs, scan them (or find someone to do it for you) and and attach the .JPG sheets to your posts.

I take it to mean that you won’t object to the volume. I will start a new thread labeled repair logs.

In reply to:

I take it to mean that you won’t object to the volume. I will start a new thread labeled repair logs.

I don’t object, but to make it easier for you and all, may I suggest that you ZIP the images into one or more files. The maximum size of a single attachment is 3,072,000 bytes.

• Mike.

In reply to:

But we do know that Art plays fast and loose with his conclusions.

Specific examples would be appreciated.

Examples:

Re: interpreting Cirrus use of CAPS for equivalent level of safety testing

Re: blaming Cirrus for introducing extra danger

Re: rush to blame a pilot for a fatal accident

Cheers
Rick

p.s. and these were only the ones that I posted my challenge to your faulty logic.