Cylinder failed in a less than a year old Cirrus Sr-20

Hey All,
My husband and I purchased a SR-20 last year, and we are coming up on our 1st annual inspection. So I was about to fly it to KTYS to have it inspected, when I started the plane it was pretty rough, and one of the cylinder’s was not lit up. We turned it off and got the mechanic to come out and look at it. He said based on the amount of air coming out of the exhaust during his compression check, he is confident the exhaust valve inside the cylinder is causing it. So I could not fly it to Knoxville, and when they were going to check the part because it should be under warranty they said it may take up to 11 months to get it! UGH! Has anyone had this problem before? I am thankful I did not take off and it go out of me while flying but a little frustrated we will be without the plane for so long. Is there anyone that can expedite parts? Does this happen often with new planes? What causes this to happen? Is it something that can be prevented on my end as a pilot? Would love some feedback.
~The Smiths

Taking off the cylinder takes around 3-4 hours
Overhauling it in an engine shop with a new valve etc is about 2 days
Installation is 3-4 hours.

One week MAX!

3 Likes

Maybe cylinders are on back order? That may be the problem is I cannot get the parts.

2 Likes

Hi Carrie!
Not everyone monitors the guest section so be patient for an answer!
Here’s my plug - join COPA and have access to to an array of information. You’ll get your money’s worth is less than an hour! If not, we have a money back guarantee!!

On to your issue - I’m not a mechanic but I suspect that the first thing they will recommend is to have your mechanic do a borescope and you should post up the pictures/video here.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Hey Tony,
I thought I was a member, hmm. I will check on that.
Thanks!
Carrie

Carrie,
it is hard to believe that no shop in the USA will overhaul such a cylinder. I can give the contact of a super good engine shop in Munich, Germany that will not only do it IMMEDIATELY but also has cylinders in stock.

1 Like

Hi Carrie, welcome to COPA!

Please follow this link to upgrade your COPA Membership if desired, you will receive a great deal more feedback on the member forums.

The very first thing to do is a borescope inspection, that is the best way to ascertain why the cylinder is not making power, and once that is determined, you can evaluate how best to proceed.

In many cases the cylinder can be repaired, at times without removal, however, these repairs are oftentimes not covered under warranty, the manufacturers instead prefer to replace the cylinder with a new or overhauled part.

Even in today’s world, 11 months to get a jug is beyond unreasonable, who provided you with that estimate?

Have you spoken directly to Cirrus Field Service?

Good luck!

3 Likes

Before condeming the cylinder with just a compression check, it should be borescoped. It may be that the cylinder doesn’t need to be removed at all. If your mechanic doesn’t do borescope cylinder inspections with photos then I’d recommend you find one that does. This could save a huge amount of down time.

3 Likes

If you are, we can move this to a better topic!
Hans?

2 Likes

Tony-

Carrie is presently a Guest Member, and getting some great replies on this topic, thanks everyone!

Of course, if Carrie elects to join COPA, I will move this topic to the member forums.

5 Likes

It’s possible it’s a stuck exhaust valve, which these Lycomings experience occasionally. If that’s the case, you may not need a new cylinder.

Sometimes they stick from prolonged rich mixture at idle or low power settings. (lead fouling)

3 Likes

Thanks I will ask if they have done a borescope!

Well if it is under warranty and I use a different part I am not sure they will take care of that. I will check though.
Thanks!

Thanks Hans for the membership info. I will check into being more than just a guest. We currently have it at Southern Skies and that is what they told us. The director of our flight school is in touch with people at Cirrus I think. We are playing the waiting game… I will find out if our mechanic did a borescope. That’s a good start anyway.
Thanks!
Carrie

That’s interesting! I will ask our mechanic about that. This is the perfect weather to fly in…I miss it!

Carrie-

As you are new to our forum, please permit me to make an observation I hope you will find helpful, Paul New is one our communities most experienced A&P/IAs, he is very knowledgable and I would take his advice to heart, the same goes for Ross, also an A&P/IA, and the owner of Midwest Aircraft Refinishing, Ross has more Cirrus experience than most of us (in some cases combined), please heed their advice.

If it comes down to performing an out of warranty repair, or being down 11 months, absolutely perform the repair, what’s more, I would not allow a shop to pull a cylinder for a stuck valve unless it was absolutely necessary, I suspect in your case it may not be.

Good luck!

As for joining COPA, please take us up on our 30 day risk free money back guarantee, if after enjoying the member forums for 30 days you decide not to continue your membership, let me know and I will issue your refund, absolutely no questions asked.

Please also take a moment to familiarize yourself with the many Member Advantage discounts and COPA Pilot Magazine, all included with your COPA Membership.

COPA Member Advantage Program

COPA Pilot Magazine

6 Likes

Well our Cylinder was shipped of to Pinnacle for repair, they confirmed that it was the exhaust valve and that it was stuck open. They can repair at the shop and said it would be 2-3 weeks as long as valve guide is not needed. So that is way better than waiting 11 months. Jonathan Sweatman called me with the good news. So I am hoping for quick turn around:). Thanks for the response.
Carrie

2 Likes

Too bad the cylinder was removed … in most cases a Lycoming stuck valve can be repaired with the cylinder installed …

2 Likes

hmmm…. The AVweb article states “Another method is to tie dental floss to the end of the exhaustvalve and lower it down into the cylinder. Ream the guide and then pull the valve back up into the guide.”

I can’t really see how it would be possible to ream the guide with dental floss hanging out. I’m curious what the author had in mind.

The Lycoming service instruction 1425A describes holding onto the valve with “mechanical fingers” through the exhaust port. That looks very difficult.

This is an article I wrote for the Cessna Pilots Association back in 2007 on reaming exhaust valve guides in situation. Maybe it will help explain the process from an hands on point of view.

https://www.tennesseeaircraft.net/2007/12/15/lycoming-exhaust-valve-a-sticky-situation/

3 Likes