cirrus propI

I just bought a 99 sr20 and had a pre buy done. I had to fly it across the country and noticed when I landed, there was some oil leaking on the back of one of the blades of the props. I am going to have a mechanic look at it, but as this is my first airplane to own, am a little concerned with the costs. Does anyone have some ideas of what this typically is. Actually, instead of a pre-buy, I had them do an annual. Could something have been left off during this procedure? I am going to call the mechanic who did the annual on Monday, but it being halfway across the country, I don’t know how much good this will do me. If anyone could be of any help I would appreciate it. Thanks, James Tuggle

James,

Call me at 408 348 7058 anytime of night.

Alexander Wolf

In reply to:

I just bought a 99 sr20 and had a pre buy done. I had to fly it across the country and noticed when I landed, there was some oil leaking on the back of one of the blades of the props. I am going to have a mechanic look at it, but as this is my first airplane to own, am a little concerned with the costs. Does anyone have some ideas of what this typically is. Actually, instead of a pre-buy, I had them do an annual. Could something have been left off during this procedure? I am going to call the mechanic who did the annual on Monday, but it being halfway across the country, I don’t know how much good this will do me. If anyone could be of any help I would appreciate it. Thanks, James Tuggle

James,

The constant speed prop twists in the prop hub to allow it to change pitch settings. There is a zerk fitting to grease the hub of the prop. At annual they put grease in that fitting. While there are other causes for oil on the prop, I would bet some of the grease worked its way out and in a few flights it will be gone.

Since your new to the plane, by all means have a mechanic verify it because there are other more problematic causes too. But clean it up and keep an eye on it. If its what I think it should reduce to nothing quickly.

Good luck and welcome to Cirrus ownership.

In reply to:

James,
Call me at 408 348 7058 anytime of night.
Alexander Wolf

Alexander

Pardon me if it’s too personal, but ‘Call me at … anytime of night.’ has me wondering…

Are… you … Gulp…one… of …Gulp… these?

Vvvhhy yes, I am.