Checklists

I’ve been studying the POH for the 20 coming in September (hopefully) and going through the thousands of checklists. Are all of the checklists in the POH on the Arnav? If not, I’ll start creating them on paper for use on the kneeboard or in the Compaq iPAQ that we’ll keep in the plane.

Thanks.

Derek

Wings Aloft will give you a very good set of checklists. (War and Peace was shorter, I think.) I think they typically mail it out about a month before your training.

I’ve been studying the POH for the 20 coming in September (hopefully) and going through the thousands of checklists. Are all of the checklists in the POH on the Arnav? If not, I’ll start creating them on paper for use on the kneeboard or in the Compaq iPAQ that we’ll keep in the plane.

Thanks.

Derek

They are in the Arnav, and as Andy points out they also come from Wings Aloft.

However, I recommend waiting until you’ve flow the plane for a few hours, and then making your own checklists. At least, that’s what I plan to do.

I think some of the items on the check lists are of more use to control Cirrus’s liability than to promote safety. And there are other things that I like on my check lists that aren’t on Cirru’s.

I like to keep check lists short so that (1) I’m more likely to use them, (2) so that it is harder to miss an item, and (3) it is easier to find the right checklist (because they are shorter). I put things on that if I miss them, I’m likely to comprimise safety or perhaps damage the aircraft. For example, a big item for me in the Bonanza V35B is to make sure the elevator trim is set for take-off after I land and during preflight and before taking the runway. Not having that plane trimmed properly for take off can be dangerous and to have three places where I make sure it set for take-off is not too many (for me).

I don’t have specifics on the SR22 as I’ve been away from my plane for three weeks (and the POH) and I’ve only flow it about 25 hours. When I make my check lists, I’ll post them here and am curious to see other people’s check lists.

For me, check lists are something that evolve as I get to the know the plane better and learn from accidents and other people’s experience. I like to group check lists onto single pages for a particular phase of flight.

Also, I put more than what is necessary for a given airplane, but which is just good piloting and which I might occassionaly forget. E.g., on my run-up check lists I put “review departure plan/map” to lessen the chance that I’ll be in a rush and get behind the airplane right away on after take-off. In other words, I put some things into my check lists to catch my own bone-head mistakes which I know from experience I sometimes make.

Thanks.

Derek

Thanks.

Derek

Derek,

I recently completed WingsAloft SR20 training in Seattle. I very much prefer their checklists to the POH or ARNAV ones. I agree with the other posts on the value of customizing your checklists to reflect your own needs and experience. However, I think the WingsAloft checklist is the best one to start with.

You can purchase an SR20 checklist (and even the training manual, if you wish) from WingsAloft by calling Nancy Zella at 206-763-2113. Maybe she can just advance you the one that will be included in the plane purchase.

Be certain to request a REVISED checklist. Wings Aloft recently changed some of the recommended speeds (e.g., final approach now 75KIAS vs. 80KIAS to reduce the chance of porpoising).

George Savage

SR22 #95