Cessna 400 vs. SR 22 Turbo G3

I am comparing the Cessna 400 to the SR 22 Turbo G3. Obviously, everyone on this site chose to purchase a Cirrus. Can anyone give me their insight into a comparison of the physical comfort (seat, ergonomics) of piloting these 2 planes?

Skisail,

I’ve flown the 350. The seating is like a race car…snug and low. I compare the Columbia to a Pantera and a Cirrus to a Lexus.

I give the Columbia advantages with the G1000 / GFC 700 integration. I also like the light touch yoke of the Columbia. The Cirrus has ‘the chute’ which my passengers like. The Cirrus is extremely comfortable for long x/c flights. I like the ingress/egress of the Cirrus. The visibility in the Cirrus is better.

If you are transitioning to glass your money will be better spent learning G1000 than Avidyne (at the moment)…unless you are going to own a Cirrus with an Avidyne panel.

Most important…I like the size of the Cirrus fleet, hours flown, and especially the awesome bond within COPA which is envied by all GA manufacturers. Cessna and Columbia forums may be nice; but one (CPA) is too big…the other too small (LOPA)…COPA is just right.

Be sure to fly both!!! I hope to see you on the paid side of COPA flying and enjoying life!!! Happy New Year!!!

I had a demo in a 350 and liked the speed breaks and door seals.

Just for fun, you should check out Diamond’s latest, the DA50. They have a prototype, and a brochure on their webpage. It will have a 52" wide cabin, and 2+3 seating. Useful load is almost 1400 lbs., turbo and 350hp, built-in oxygen, TKS icing and the ballistic chute. Last but not least…the control stick on the passenger side is removable, for max comfort

Most of the folks bring up very valid points. Here’s my option: I’m 6’ 2" and just about the top of the comfort range for the 400. The Cirrus is very roomy for me and passengers. Two big guys in the front seat of the 400 can make for a long trip. Cirrus gets points for size and ergonomics. Visibility is a huge issue. Sit in the Cirrus and scan the full outside, do the same in the Columbia. Now, have someone shorter do the same exercise. My SO has flown with me in many aircraft including the 400. She prefers the Cirrus by a lot.

With that said, flying the 400 is a blast. The speed breaks are a very useful tool. A 500fpm power on decent can be made by engaging them hopefully helping you make the suggested TBO. Emergency descents are very impressive. I really like the stiff feel of the 400 you pull it goes there now! The airframe is Utility Class and feels like it. The G-1000 vs Avidyne is a bit like the Mac vs. Pc battle. Both do the job, yet the G-1000 is a bit better integrated. I really like the “constant speed climb” feature. It avoids the mushing to stall at high altitude panic.

Flying the Columbia takes more piloting skill and a bit more tweaking. You being a P-210 owner should have no problem transitioning to ether. Just remember that speed management is key in fast aircraft.

Oh yea, COPA is awesome and one of a kindÂ…

Good luck in your decisionÂ…

“but one (CPA) is too big.”

CPA seems to have made room for the 350-400 nicely. They now have their own forum right between 210/P210 and 337

In reply to:

brakes

In reply to:

Can these be added to a Cirrus? Even when I’m not pressurized I use the seals in my P210. I love speed brakes also.

Speed brakes - not really. Door seals - EPDM tape does wonders.

In reply to:

Speed brakes - not really. Door seals - EPDM tape does wonders.

SR20 drivers…you have an open course,cross country air race winner in it’s class. The Sport Air Racing League, www.sportairrace.org…check this out…fun, fair, safe!

In reply to:

Just for fun, you should check out Diamond’s latest, the DA50. They have a prototype, and a brochure on their webpage. It will have a 52" wide cabin, and 2+3 seating. Useful load is almost 1400 lbs., turbo and 350hp, built-in oxygen, TKS icing and the ballistic chute. Last but not least…the control stick on the passenger side is removable, for max comfort

I looked that plane over at OSH. All I can say is WOW.
They have come a long way since the Katana.