Cell Phone Wx Nexrad Fun

Hi, I’m a Columbia 400/Jet Ranger pilot, but thought you guys might appreciate this too. I created this Cell Phone Wx tool for myself, but was urged to make it more public. (Its FREE and always will be)

It gives Radar in the US, Metars and TAFs for almost anywhere in the world.

It can find the nearest cheap fuel and Oxygen service by city, zipcode, or area code etc…

Click here: http://206.183.1.150

Let me Know what you think. Most newer web-cell phones should work with this.

Note: The Blue links on phone numbers in the Aiport RMKS section will dial your Cell-Phone for you, but wont work from a broswer.

BTW: Its pretty ugly when viewed from a regular web browser, but its fast and looks great on a cell phone.

I’ve got a ton of other features that I’ll roll out soon like: Custom image sizes, Fuel/Hotel Stop Planning. Legal Duats Briefings, TFR notices, NexRad with echo tops, and Satellite Images.

Bart
Columbia 6 echo yankee / helicopter 3 lima whisky

great site. thanks for sharing with the enemy [:)]

does camping and towered share the same letter (T)?

might be useful to include the AWOS or ASOS phone numbers - i find this great for non-reporting airports

Very cool - works well on Nextel Blackberry

Wonderful tool, THANKS!!!. I bought the new Samsung ICH-730 and mycast will not work on this phone because of no Java. However this works perfect! By the way the new ICH-730 is a truly amazing phone!

In reply to:

great site. thanks for sharing with the enemy
does camping and towered share the same letter (T)?

OOppss! I had a letter conflict. Camping is now ‘W’ and Towered is ‘T’

I thought aluminum was the enemy. :wink:

Thanks!
Bart

In reply to:

I thought aluminum was the enemy. :wink:
Thanks!
Bart

GREAT ANSWER!!! I stop and chat with every Columbia pilot I bump into during my travels (just as I do other Cirrus pilots) and only a few of them look at me like i’m crazy.

Thanks for sharing your work. Winds aloft?

In reply to:

GREAT ANSWER!!! … Winds aloft?

LOL: Well I enjoy the snot outa my plastic plane. I’ve even had tons of fun in a wood one. Its all good.

RE: Winds aloft

I’ve got a pecking order. After I get the Wx graphics issues all ironed out, the flight planner is next. It does factor winds at the flight level you select.

The flight planner will let you find plan food and overnight stops too…

Where right now you can type “29G A 5 F” for places around 29G that have JetA, a 5000ft Rwy, and Food at the Airport, in the next version you’ll be able to say: “29G A 5 F @160 KSFO”. It’ll plan Food and Jeta stops around your stored prefs, while factoring the winds at FL160.

The goal of this little Cell tool is to give you quick access info you can’t always get easily from your avionics or the AFD. I’ve been stuck a couple times in my Jetranger looking for good places to stop, and always wanted a tool that went beyond just endurance, runway length, and fuel types.

Thanks for having a look.

Bart

A good piece of info to have handy is the local FSS number. Zoom and pan on the NEXRAD would be nice but then again at this price I can’t complain!

Paul

Regarding WINDS ALOFT, I was actually thinking of a screen that would allow you to enter a City or identifier and give a simple readout of the winds aloft forecast for choosing the best altitudes. example below from USAIRNET.

06 hr Forecast for EVV
3000 250 31mph NoData
6000 250 42mph 21°F
9000 250 48mph 23°F
12000 260 50mph 14°F
18000 260 85mph -2°F

In reply to:

A good piece of info to have handy is the local FSS number. Zoom and pan on the NEXRAD would be nice but then again at this price I can’t complain!
Paul

Look again… The Local FSS number is there, and it will dial it for you.

Bart

In reply to:

might be useful to include the AWOS or ASOS phone numbers - i find this great for non-reporting airports

Although somewhat inconvenient because of the ads, you can always call 1-877-ANY-AWOS to get connected to the AWOS/ASOS telephone of any airport in the US.

re: FSS Phone numbers: I added them! It’ll even dial the phone for you now. Thanks Paul

re: AWOS Phone numbers… great idea Stuart, I’ll have to find a list to import.

Re: Blackberry… Thanks for the PIREP. I’ll be making it possible for you to have it remember your screen size soon so the Nexrad etc will be as big as possible on your device.

Bart

Excellent site!

I am using it on a Verizon Blackberry 7250 and it works well. Nexrad a little small and no zoom but other than that very functional.

With a BB any phone number in text can be dialed by jusy clicking on the number with the track wheel.

Mason

THis reminds me of dealing with vendors at work. One was hitting me up with how great a deal our support was (we pay millions per year). I pointed out that the best support we got came from developers on OpenOffice which is free and on a plotting tool we pay $25K per year for. One suggestion and it is already in. You rock.

I placed a link to your site on both my wife’s Samsung i730 and on mine. If you ad much more I’ll be wondering why I pay to access avwx.net.

Paul

In reply to:

One suggestion and it is already in. You rock.
I placed a link to your site on both my wife’s Samsung i730 and on mine. If you ad much more I’ll be wondering why I pay to access avwx.net.
Paul

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what things does avwx.net do that make it worth paying for? I use Wunderground, I like their site a lot and pay them $9.00/year so i dont have to see ads, but I doubt id pay much more to anyone. The stuff at http://aviationweather.gov is pretty darn good.

I haven’t tried everything. Aviation Consumer liked them. The price was reasonable. Turbo dropped TurboWX which I used to use. It is designed for PDAs so the site is easy to navigate. The NEXTRAD has zoom. I like the local FSS phone numbers provided. At $50/yr it wasn’t the biggest flying expense I have.

I’ll check out the one you listed. I like the new site that kicked off this thread and the price is certainly right.

Paul

Works great on Treo 650 also. Thanks!

Great tool! Thanks for sharing!

Works on the Blackberry 7100T with T-Mobile…

can you run pocket plates on it?

thks