CAPS, How safe really is it?

Hey,
I was just wondering how safe is it really? (CAPS_

I believe that you hit the ground around 1,500 FPM, How much damage would be sustained to the Aircraft and/or the Occupants on a flat surface?

Would CAPS be more effective on the Ground, than Water? To me, (my theory anyway), If it were in water the gear would just penetrate the waters surface, the Fuselage ‘smashing’ the surface hard, making it ‘stop’, while on the Ground the gear could be crushed and used as some kind of suspension?

Once CAPS has been deployed, If the aircraft can regain its airworthyness, Would an entire CAPS system have to be re-instated, or could the existing system be re-used?

Can anyone link me to stories, Videos, photos etc… or Unsuccessful or Successful CAPS stories?

Do you think future General Aviation aircraft, will start implimenting these systems, similar to Airbags in cars, once scares, are now Standard on most automobiles?

Sorry for the questions, The whole CAPS/Parachute Concept is really, interesting, I would love to know more about it!

In reply to:

Can anyone link me to stories, Videos, photos etc… or Unsuccessful or Successful CAPS stories?

There have been a number of Cirrus CAPS deployments. All but one have been successful in that all occupants of the aircraft survived with either minor or no injuries. The most recent deployment was into water. The only unsuccessful deployment was an aircraft that lost control in ice and the chute was activated with the aircraft well over red line speed. In addition to Cirrus there have been a number of CAPS equipped ultralights that have been “saved” by the parachute.

At least 2 of the aircraft in which CAPS was used were rebuilt.

While it would cost you $50.00 to become a COPA member, there are literally hundreds of posts about CAPS and the issues you raise on the Member’s Forum.

An excellent resource, including images and video, is http://www.brsparachutes.com/.http://www.brsparachutes.com/lifesave.html for a list of lives saved.

Cheers,
Roger

There is an easy answer to your question.

CAPS has now saved many lives and if used within design limits is a fantastic “last resort” safety feature.

If you fly with your family and friends you owe it to them to have every safety aid available in the event of an emergency.

NO its not perfect but I would rather fly with it than without it!

Trevor N222SW SR22G2

In reply to:

I was just wondering how safe is it really?

I think you may be asking the wrong question. If you are trying to ask whether the chute will save you from every imaginable perilous situation, the answer is, unquestionably, “NO”. But as to “how safe is it really” . . . well, can you think of any emergency situation in which you would be really safer NOT having it? I find it more helpful to think about it that way.

Jim Knollenberg SR20 1281 N814

There have been a number of Cirrus CAPS “saves” and numerous more involving ultralights. Something like 10 Cirrus pilots/passengers are alive now because of CAPS.

I flew in conventional aircraft for more than 1500 hr and 17 years without an airframe parachute and did not think twice about it. Now, after less than 100 hr of SR20/SR22 time, I feel significantly more “exposed” without it, especially when flying with passengers.

The presence of CAPS is tremendously reassuring for most nonpilot passengers (example: my father has been an extremely nervous passenger without it, but loves going along in the SR22). For that reason alone, it is great for GA and a wonderful innovation in my view. I believe that 10 years from now virtually all new single-engine aircraft will be equipped with a BRS parachute because the market will demand it.

In reply to:

There have been a number of Cirrus CAPS deployments. All but one have been successful in that all occupants of the aircraft survived with either minor or no injuries. The most recent deployment was into water. The only unsuccessful deployment was an aircraft that lost control in ice and the chute was activated with the aircraft well over red line speed.

There was also one CAPS pull where the chute failed to deploy but, like you said, the occupants survived the subsequent forced landing.

Subsequently, there was an SB to make the chute easier to pull.