CAPS and Ditching

The latest CAPS deployment sheds some light on the question of whether a conventional or a CAPS ditch is best. (As IÂ’m sure is being discussed in the memberÂ’s section.)

In one widely circulated account the pilot said: “I slipped into the water and began swimming to shore. My leg got caught on something: no doubt a line from the parachute. I kicked it free and swam faster and farther away from the plane.”

He was lucky. I watched two people drown from shroud entanglement after successful ejections following a cold catapult shot.

You may remember a long exchange between me and Doug Ritter wherein I strenuously objected to his advice to pull the CAPS after a conventional ditch because a chute in the water is a well known hazard. I was unable to convince him it was bad advice. Perhaps this will.

Joe

As and old paratrooper, I am well aware of having to watch out for the lines when landing in water. However, if you join and go over to the members side, you can read Ilans account in his own words (rather than through the filters of the press). Yes, he hit one line - it was no problem. Also, if you read his account - landing in water was not his intended action, living was. After the chute was deployed he was heading for a tank farm. He was able to maneuver to avoid the tank farm, which unfortunately put him in the water. Also, i you go to the memebrs side, you will find a large thread about the ditching by chute or landing. The lines are only one of many variables.

Doug is a pretty sharp guy but on this issue we all were speaking hypothecially because we really didn’t know.

However, I agree that puilling the chute AFTER a water ditching is not a good idea for the following reason:

The chute should already be deployed!

Hypothesize all we want about the spring gear etc but…

a) The water we impact at 65 mph is closer to the proverbial concrete than the water we hit at 15 mph.

b) I’d rather take the impact vertically over a larger and stronger area of my body (hips, thighs, pelvis and back) and with the benefit of the confor foam and the honeycomb n the seat than horizontally with only seatbelts restraing me and no headrest to stop my neck from hyperextending upon impact.

c) The aircraft is way more likely to remain upright during a canopy ditching than a forward touchdown. The doors and windows are going to be incredibly more difficult to open when the fuselage is upside down and completely submerged. Many floatplane crashes are survivable except that people drown trying to escape in the post crash panic and darkness etc.

As Ilan’s crash shows, the Cirrus will likely sink within minutes after touchdown so the sea anchor benefit is irrelevant. Also, the chute does not open upon deployment … the relative wind is required to inflate the canopy.

For the benefit of those who only follow the public board here, what are the circumstances of this deployment? I’ve not seen any reports on it

are you flying in to GFL this summer?

Something I was interested in seeing was if there had been a discussion about was the injuries sustained and the time he indicated to took the aircraft to sink.

1. He mentions the fact that the wheels (collapsing) did not absorb the impact so the wings and seat had to. I am wondering if the broken back could be attributed more to this or his age?

2. He mentions the plane sinking in about 4 minutes. I don’t know if there have been any studies, but would that be an average time. As a side note on this subject, if the plane sank that fast I wouldn’t think pullling the chute to attract attention would do much good particularily in deep water where it would sink with the plane.

I’m not arguing the merits of a conventional versus a CAPS ditch. I agree there are reasonable arguments on both sides of the issue and the parachute danger is only one factor to consider.
What I disagree with is Ritter’s advice to pull the CAPS after a successful conventional ditch! He listed some very speculative and dubious benefits for intentionally and unnecessarily introducing the CAPS into the equation after water entry; I felt they were outweighed by, among other things, the well known dangers of a chute in the water, as evidenced by the mishap pilot’s close call even in a rather benign water scenario (no waves, etc.).

Joe

In reply to:

I’m not arguing the merits of a conventional versus a CAPS ditch. I agree there are reasonable arguments on both sides of the issue and the parachute danger is only one factor to consider.
What I disagree with is Ritter’s advice to pull the CAPS after a successful conventional ditch! He listed some very speculative and dubious benefits for intentionally and unnecessarily introducing the CAPS into the equation after water entry; I felt they were outweighed by, among other things, the well known dangers of a chute in the water, as evidenced by the mishap pilot’s close call even in a rather benign water scenario (no waves, etc.).
Joe

Joe;
On the members side, there have been over 10,000 reviews of this incident of ditching.
Not withstanding your observations of Doug Ritters comments, at this stage, I don’t see your scenario playing out because I don’t believe anyone would choose to ditch, rather than pull the chute first.
Generally, a 13 kt belly flop is better than a 60 kt wheels down entry. I, for one, will take my chances with the chute lines.

Sorry, I missed that. I can think of no reasonable reason to deploy CAPS after a ditching.

Ditto

Dennis,

Like I said, I agree there are reasonable arguments on both sides of the conventional ditch versus CAPS descent over water argument.

Joe

In reply to:

Sorry, I missed that. I can think of no reasonable reason to deploy CAPS after a ditching.

After a night ditching, as a poor mans flare? [;)]

Maybe - but I think the possibility of shroud lines becoming a problem for exit from the area of the aircraft is real enough I would avoid that. If there is a flare effect, it would not last long.

In reply to:

Maybe - but I think the possibility of shroud lines becoming a problem for exit from the area of the aircraft is real enough I would avoid that. If there is a flare effect, it would not last long.

Roy, please note the wink icon in my original post. [;)]

In reply to:

For the benefit of those who only follow the public board here, what are the circumstances of this deployment? I’ve not seen any reports on it

In short:
Pilot blacked out, regained partial cognative abilities in a dive, regained control, but was in fear of a follow up episode and pulled the chute rather than risk further complications. Plane landed in water 300 ft from shore. Pilot evac’d out while plane was still floating.
Subsequent to full MRI, it was determined that pilot had an unknown medical condition. Pilot is alive and recovering.

Thanks…After posting my inquiry, I did a quick search and found the pilot’s own excellent write-up, http://www.avweb.com/news/features/190126-1.html

Hi Larry!

Been up a few times already. Probably Labor Day next. You still at Top of the World?

I heard on the TB board that you’d bought a Cirrus. Congratulations! How do you like it?

Joe

In reply to:

He mentions the pane sinking in about 4 minutes. I don’t know if there have been any studies, but would that be an average time. As a side not on this subject, if the plane sank that fast I wouldn’t think pullling the chute to attact attention would do much good particularily in deep water where it would sink with the plane.

See this article about ditching. In the members section, Doug Ritter further elaborated that 4 minutes is average for the typical light plane.

Pulling the chute prior to hitting the water is still the right thing to do IMHO since it decreases the energy of impact significantly.