Bell Crank

Before any of us get too excited about this incident (not an accident) let’s give Cirrus time to get to the bottom of it. Always, in the past, they have been very aggressive in these situations and totally forthright in their response.

There are many things that none of us know about that might have happened. What about the conditions prior to the flight? What about the preflight check? Lets hold the fire and give Cirrus a chance to investigate and respond.

Wasn’t there a service bulletin regarding a rudder hinge, about 6 weeks ago? Was it related to this?

Before any of us get too excited about this incident (not an accident) let’s give Cirrus time to get to the bottom of it. Always, in the past, they have been very aggressive in these situations and totally forthright in their response.

There are many things that none of us know about that might have happened. What about the conditions prior to the flight? What about the preflight check? Lets hold the fire and give Cirrus a chance to investigate and respond.

Wasn’t there a service bulletin regarding a rudder hinge, about 6 weeks ago? Was it related to this?

Andy,

Good question, I thought of this too… But (though I’m not an expert on airplane parts), isn’t the bellcrank the piece that connects to the control cable at the bottom of the rudder? And if I recall correctly, that SB was for the top rudder hinge… So I have to guess they’re not related?

(In fact, since Alan & Ian mentioned something about rudder hinges for the SR20 gross weight increase at the OSH meeting, I had wondered if the SB was simply something that will be required for the higher gross weight increase, but again that’s a pure guess!)

Steve

Andy, the SB was regarding a bolt for the upper rudder hinge that was too short and not engaging the locking nut properly. It had nothing to do with the bell crank.

Carl