Avidyne PFD and MFD malfunctions on my SR22 / 2004

Since some months I am expecting problems with both PFD and MFD.

For the PFD the black color of the HSI part of the screen is troubled at starting and comes normal after a few minutes.

For the MFD, the screen becomes troubled and all grey at the starting and comes normal after a few minutes and again becomes troubled after 30mn to 1 hour of flight and cnnot be used any more.

The connectors have been examined and reconnected with an electrical contact sealant approuved by Cirrus, one month ago, but still same problems.

I called Avidyne who replied me that numbers of Cirrus have the same concern and that it is not the Avidyne product who is defective, they ask me to deal with Cirrus about that.

What Cirrus France suggest me is to have both PFD and MFD sent to Avidyne and either repaired or exchanged, I would have to pay thousands of Euros! and I have no explain of what happens.

Did some one has the same concerns???

Guy,

Suggest you join and ask in the Avionics section on the members side. You won’t get much traction in the guest section b/c not many people frequent it.

And not for nothing, the repair is going to run you a grand at least - so the $65 to join and ask the question and get an answer to save you money is pocket change.

Guy, as Alex pointed out, joining is a really good idea. For one, you will find out that cirrus planes generally do not have the problem you describe, you are the first I can recall.
It is very unusual to have both units not working well, since they are mostly independent. When did the problems first start, what were the circumstances, and were the problems seen on both units from the beginning?
Has anyone verifed the alt1 and alt2 voltages are correct? Is their any noise on the electrical bus? What does the emax data log show? How about the pfd data log? What hardware rev are these? Do the problems develop only with the engine running or on bat power as well? Any sources of electical noise in the plane (cell phones, etc) or magnetic fields? Check for a bad ground at the alternator, and at the firewall ground bus.
Can you take pics for Avidyne? I would talk to them again with the pics. I am not sure exactly what you are describing and they might be confused as well.

Thank’s Eric for your efforts.

Yes I will right now.

See below my replies…

Guy

RE: Avidyne PFD and MFD malfunctions on my SR22 / 2004 By Eric Panning in Guest Discussion Guy, as Alex pointed out, joining is a really good idea. For one, you will find out that cirrus planes generally do not have the problem you describe, you are the first I can recall.

It is very unusual to have both units not working well, since they are mostly independent. When did the problems first start, in automn, first on the MFD and just for a few seconds what were the circumstances, after 30mn to 1 hour of smoth flight and were the problems seen on both units from the beginning? NO, it started only in winter for the PFD. Has anyone verifed the alt1 and alt2 voltages are correct? It seems they are, we will verify. Is their any noise on the electrical bus? Just the fan. What does the emax data log show? How about the pfd data log? How can I go onto data logs? What hardware rev are these? No rev since original delivery in Feb 2004. Do the problems develop only with the engine running or on bat power as well? Yes as well. Any sources of electical noise in the plane (cell phones, etc) or magnetic fields? Cell phone yes. Check for a bad ground at the alternator, and at the firewall ground bus. I will. Can you take pics for Avidyne? I would talk to them again with the pics. I am not sure exactly what you are describing and they might be confused as well. via http://www.postriver.com/iCopa" target=“new”>iCopa

I will repeat what others have said. You need to join. There is much information available on the member’s side (like how to check the data logs) that you just do not have access to out here. And all for less than the price of 10 gallons of fuel in France.

Mike