ARNAV Engine Monitoring

I was talking to someone at my Cirrus Service Center today and he was preparing to install the ARNAV engine monitor on a SR22. He learned today that the certification to install the probe kit in the field has been terminated.

The FAA is also considering to have the systems removed that have already been installed.

I did not talk to ARNAV myself and my information may not be correct. Has anyone else received the same information?

This is between ARNAV and the FAA so don’t call Cirrus about it. If you want more information go directly to ARNAV.

I was talking to someone at my Cirrus Service Center today and he was preparing to install the ARNAV engine monitor on a SR22. He learned today that the certification to install the probe kit in the field has been terminated.

The FAA is also considering to have the systems removed that have already been installed.

Hi Mark,

I’m really surprised to hear anything like that. I would think it to be almost impossible for the FAA to “have the systems removed that have already been installed”. I mean, we each have the Form 337 and field approval of the unit. So unless the FAA issues an AD, I would think we’d be okay.

In fact, most of the information you heard sounds suspect. “certification to install the probe kit in the field” – what exactly does that mean? As far as I know, each installation is field approved by the local FSDO. Did he mean “certification to install the probe kit as an STC?” That’s a different story… but shouldn’t affect field installations (past or future).

Could you possibly ask the person who told you this for more information?

Thanks,

Steve

I did not talk to ARNAV myself and my information may not be correct. Has anyone else received the same information?

This is between ARNAV and the FAA so don’t call Cirrus about it. If you want more information go directly to ARNAV.

Whoa, this doesn’t sound right to me.

1. There is no STC, so there is nothing to revoke.

2. All installs are field-approved on a 337, as Steve Lin indicated.

3. My install was signed off just last Friday.

4. While the finished product is fine, installing it was a lot like making sausage–really ugly. The pity was that the install was needlessly complex, and all attributable to absolutely lousy instructions, missing parts, instruction errors, and poor tech support by Arnav.

5. I agree that an AD would be required to pull the units. So, I’m confused as to the statements your service center made to you.

6. Don’t dive into this product unless you have patience, or alternatively, wait til Arnav cleans up their act. Best, Dave

Hi Mark,

I’m really surprised to hear anything like that. I would think it to be almost impossible for the FAA to “have the systems removed that have already been installed”. I mean, we each have the Form 337 and field approval of the unit. So unless the FAA issues an AD, I would think we’d be okay.

In fact, most of the information you heard sounds suspect. “certification to install the probe kit in the field” – what exactly does that mean? As far as I know, each installation is field approved by the local FSDO. Did he mean “certification to install the probe kit as an STC?” That’s a different story… but shouldn’t affect field installations (past or future).

Could you possibly ask the person who told you this for more information?

Thanks,

Steve

I will check with the service center tomorrow for exact wording but I suggest you call ARNAV because thats where my service center got the information.

Mark