Another story about N20CD

I meant to relate this story about a month ago when it happend, but here it goes:

I took my SR20 to Bimini in the Bahamas to do some diving. The trip originated in Norwood, MA and the route of flight was KOWD-KBWI, KBWI-KDAB, KDAB-MYBS. The return flight was MYBS-KFXE-KDAB-KSAV-KBWI-KBED.

As a VFR pilot, this was a challenging trip. The weather got pretty lousy on the first day, which put us in at BWI after being sent into the clouds by the KDCA controller, I asked for lower (2,500) and after he told me twice that I could not have lower, I did what my first instructor said to do, I told the controller I was turning back to KBWI and I did a 180 at 10 degrees of bank and waited for the clouds to disappear.

Landing at BWI, I was actually pretty happy to be on the ground. The next day was pretty nice and we had an uneventful high (10,000+) flight to Daytona. When we got to Daytona, there was a line of thunderstorms along the coast and some thickening scattered clouds at between 900 and 2,500. We managed to thread the VFR needle into Daytona and drove quickly to the hotel bar where we watched the skies blacken and the palm trees bend in the wind.

The following days flight to Bimini was beautiful, close to perfect. The customs in Bimini was very straightforward and we were diving that afternoon. The Bimini airstrip is daytime only and reported to be 5,000 feet long, although it seemed longer.

The flight home was uneventful, until I got to New York. Heading over the southern coast of Long Island I watched my ground speed drop from 145 to less than 100 kts. I was getting tossed around like a rag doll and came close to hitting my head even with the belts as tight as I could get them. I had happened upon some really strong wind. After arguing with NY ATC for a while, they let me head west around the city, which then tokk about 1.5 hours (normally 40 mins). While I felt very fatigued from the heavy turbulence, I felt very comfortabel with the way the aircraft performed. Very stable, but bumpy (it is still a pretty small aircraft). I finally made it to Norwood, the wind letting up a little, and had trouble finding the airport at night. It was clear, but I could not get the Pilot controlled lights to function. I diverted to Bedford Hanscom, which is towered much later than Norwood and lit up like (as my father used to say) “french whore house”. I had a nice landing, took a cab home and slept the sleep of the dead.

It was a great trip and I learned a lot. As a SR20 diehard, these comments may sound repetitive, but the SR20 makes a lot tougher trip not only possible, but comfortable. The ease with which you can determine where you are and the terrific radios that help you keep in touch with those assigned to help you, makes things a lot less stressful.

On a perfect windless fall day the SR20 and a 172 probably give you a somewhat similar experience, but its when you get into a little trouble or you get tired, that’s when the advanced features make you feel like you can do it.

Heavy chop, marginal VFR, long trips, the occasional confusion, all are made a lot easier by the capabilities of this aircraft. I cannot wait until I am IFR so that I can enjoy the balance of the abilities of this aircraft.

One continuing pain in my ass (sorry Walt) is the continual questioning of ATC regarding the type. I am, on average, asked three time as to “what type is that”. I am not exagerating. Its ok most of the time, but when you dodging T-storms and probably flying beyond your capablilities and the controller wants to talk about “what type of aircraft is that again” it get a little irritating. I feel like telling them "It’s the parachute plane, and if you don’t stop bothering me I am going to use it right over the tower!’

This aircraft is a blast. Its very capable, easy to fly and fast. And once you learn how to land it (I think I’m there after 130 hours in type), you can make landings where passengers say "I didn’t feel us land. I had a position holder say recently that it felt like an airliner landing.

Nothing makes pilots feel cooler than smooth landings!

I have taken several position holders and potential position holders flying, and again make the offer to those who live in the Northeast.

Christopher Peznola

P.S. This site is terrific, everyone owes Clyde a big round of applause.

Great report, Chris, thanks. These stories help ease the pain of waiting quite a bit (coming up on three years now, so I’m getting used to it…)

Have you been able to tell whether “sierra-romeo-two-zero” has made it into the controllers’ books yet? Last I heard it was going to be in an update in the November timeframe. It’s been in DUATS for quite awhile…

I meant to relate this story about a month ago when it happend, but here it goes:

I took my SR20 to Bimini in the Bahamas to do some diving. The trip originated in Norwood, MA and the route of flight was KOWD-KBWI, KBWI-KDAB, KDAB-MYBS. The return flight was MYBS-KFXE-KDAB-KSAV-KBWI-KBED.

As a VFR pilot, this was a challenging trip. The weather got pretty lousy on the first day, which put us in at BWI after being sent into the clouds by the KDCA controller, I asked for lower (2,500) and after he told me twice that I could not have lower, I did what my first instructor said to do, I told the controller I was turning back to KBWI and I did a 180 at 10 degrees of bank and waited for the clouds to disappear.

Landing at BWI, I was actually pretty happy to be on the ground. The next day was pretty nice and we had an uneventful high (10,000+) flight to Daytona. When we got to Daytona, there was a line of thunderstorms along the coast and some thickening scattered clouds at between 900 and 2,500. We managed to thread the VFR needle into Daytona and drove quickly to the hotel bar where we watched the skies blacken and the palm trees bend in the wind.

The following days flight to Bimini was beautiful, close to perfect. The customs in Bimini was very straightforward and we were diving that afternoon. The Bimini airstrip is daytime only and reported to be 5,000 feet long, although it seemed longer.

The flight home was uneventful, until I got to New York. Heading over the southern coast of Long Island I watched my ground speed drop from 145 to less than 100 kts. I was getting tossed around like a rag doll and came close to hitting my head even with the belts as tight as I could get them. I had happened upon some really strong wind. After arguing with NY ATC for a while, they let me head west around the city, which then tokk about 1.5 hours (normally 40 mins). While I felt very fatigued from the heavy turbulence, I felt very comfortabel with the way the aircraft performed. Very stable, but bumpy (it is still a pretty small aircraft). I finally made it to Norwood, the wind letting up a little, and had trouble finding the airport at night. It was clear, but I could not get the Pilot controlled lights to function. I diverted to Bedford Hanscom, which is towered much later than Norwood and lit up like (as my father used to say) “french whore house”. I had a nice landing, took a cab home and slept the sleep of the dead.

It was a great trip and I learned a lot. As a SR20 diehard, these comments may sound repetitive, but the SR20 makes a lot tougher trip not only possible, but comfortable. The ease with which you can determine where you are and the terrific radios that help you keep in touch with those assigned to help you, makes things a lot less stressful.

On a perfect windless fall day the SR20 and a 172 probably give you a somewhat similar experience, but its when you get into a little trouble or you get tired, that’s when the advanced features make you feel like you can do it.

Heavy chop, marginal VFR, long trips, the occasional confusion, all are made a lot easier by the capabilities of this aircraft. I cannot wait until I am IFR so that I can enjoy the balance of the abilities of this aircraft.

One continuing pain in my ass (sorry Walt) is the continual questioning of ATC regarding the type. I am, on average, asked three time as to “what type is that”. I am not exagerating. Its ok most of the time, but when you dodging T-storms and probably flying beyond your capablilities and the controller wants to talk about “what type of aircraft is that again” it get a little irritating. I feel like telling them "It’s the parachute plane, and if you don’t stop bothering me I am going to use it right over the tower!’

This aircraft is a blast. Its very capable, easy to fly and fast. And once you learn how to land it (I think I’m there after 130 hours in type), you can make landings where passengers say "I didn’t feel us land. I had a position holder say recently that it felt like an airliner landing.

Nothing makes pilots feel cooler than smooth landings!

I have taken several position holders and potential position holders flying, and again make the offer to those who live in the Northeast.

Christopher Peznola

P.S. This site is terrific, everyone owes Clyde a big round of applause.

Hello Christopher,

Thanks for the good inputs. Let me know when you are around DCA, I will gladdly give you Instrument instruction. I have a long wait for mine, and yet have not gone for a ride. Take care and enjoy the bird. Let me know if I can be of help

Woor

ATP A&P CFII

I took my SR20 to Bimini…

What a great trip. I have always wanted to fly to the Keys and a number of other places in the US as well. My bride and I are in the planning stages for one or two trips this next year and one of those trips will be to the Keys. Interested in another fly in? This time maybe we could get a few more to join us on either side of OSH???

Loved hearing about your trip Â… and yes you need to finish off the Instrument Ticket. As a CFII , I can only emphasize the importance of having the capability and training to extract yourself from situations that may tax your flying skills. When I first got my Instrument Ticket, my trips took on a new sense to relaxation. I was no longer constantly looking out the window and glued to the WX Channel to see if there were going to be clouds in the forecast. I was able to relax and enjoy the destination much better. Get the Ticket!

As for the constant question Â… “Verify Type Aircraft” Â… it does get old. We just need more of us out there flying these machines so the question goes away. My answer now is: “a newly certified 4 place complex single engine”. If that doesn’t do it I will add “da parachute airplane”. More times than not what they really are after is what is your cruise and approach speed so they know how to fit you into their matrix of planes. Sometimes they will ask other questions especially if they are familiar with it or have read about it. Generally those time don’t happen when the WX is scuzzy as they are too busy. Chris, hope that helps, and yes it is still a pain Â…. sometimes.

Keep the shinny side up.

Christopher, thanks for this account, which I am sure makes everyone envious and eager. To chime in with the other comments:

• agree that Clyde has performed a wonderful service to SR20-dom with this site, many thanks;

• agree that an IFR rating is the way to go. I speak with the zeal of a recent convert, having gotten mine this past July. (Check ride was on the same day that JFK Jr was buried at sea. ALSO, the guy from the FAA was in the rear seat, doing his annual check of the designated-examiner. My initial reaction was: Oh no, they’re going to be impossibly tough. My wife’s more solomonic long-term reaction was: glad you were held to tougher standards before getting this rating.)

• a reminder of the life you’ve left behind. I am spending this week in southern California, at my parents’ house – with my wife and two college-age kids joining us here. Won’t be more specific about location, to avoid hurting any local feelings. BUT we decided to take a local jaunt in a rental plane, going up over the desert to Las Vegas and then cruising around the Boulder Dam / Grand Canyon area. And the plane that was available for rent… what a piece of crap! Yes, mechanically sound, safe, and so on. But my older son said, after he climbed out at the end of a 6-hour flying day, “This thing is like a Soviet bus with wings.” Dirty, uncomfortable, cramped, bad visibility – not to mention slow. Bring on the Cirrus!

Happy New Year from a hidden location in Calif, Jim Fallows

I have taken several position holders and potential position holders flying, and again make the offer to those who live in the Northe everyone owes Clyde a big round of applause.

If this offer is still open I’d like to take you up on it. I fly out of Long Island McArthur (ISP)and have owned a '65 C172 since 1979. I love the plane but am tired of being SLOW. Coming back from the gathering of Mustangs last April, Center advised my GS was a whopping 48KTS. That’s when I told my wife I wanted anything faster, even if I don’t see it until Nov 2001 - (no,I don’t really believe that date)

John