Almost . . .

What was it Oscar Wilde said about temptation?

I flew out of Palo Alto this morning, on a perfect VFR day. Just training, of course. (That’s all I am endorsed for, alas.) While in run-up I saw Kevin Moore in his 260e STOL. Kevin’s red and white canard-wing bird was loaded with passengers and bound for the Cirrus fly-in at Santa Barbara.

Over Watsonville at 5,500 (still on a student training mission, but now in some sort of mysterious gravitational pull toward Santa Barbara), I heard TWO Cirrus pilots talking to Monterey Approach. One sounded like Tom Bergeron . . . had to be Tom or some Cirrus official what with the telltale “Charlie Delta” call letters.

Around King City – that damn gravitational pull! — I heard yet another Cirrus.

Finally, I snapped out of it, prompted by the fact I had no LA sectional map aboard, and reluctantly swung my A36 around 180 degrees, and flew back to Palo Alto.

Damn.

Maddening to be only a student pilot on a perfect VFR California day . . . with the coolest yet Cirrus fly-in about to happen down the coast.

RICH

YOU WOULD OF BEEN A LITTLE DISAPOINTED AS YOU APPROACHED SBA . I MADE IT (VFR) TO SANTA MARIA ONLY 50 MILES AWAY (CAME FROM FRESNO Q60)AND COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET INTO SBA WITH MOUNTAINS ALL AROUND SBA HIGHER THAN THE 1400 FT OVERCAST AND FOG ON THE OCEAN SIDE.BOY WAS I DISSAPOINTED! HOW DID YOU OTHER VFRs GET IN.YES IM THE ONE WHO REPORTED ON THIS WEB SITE THAT FSS WAS PREDICTING A CLEAR SAT> MORNING. ANYONE BRING THERE DIGITAL CAMERA.ILL BE WATCHING FOR SOME PICS.DID ANY CLOTH INTERIORS MAKE IT.

Disappointed . . . and illegal!

RICH

YOU WOULD OF BEEN A LITTLE DISAPOINTED AS YOU APPROACHED SBA . I MADE IT (VFR) TO SANTA MARIA ONLY 50 MILES AWAY (CAME FROM FRESNO Q60)AND COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET INTO SBA WITH MOUNTAINS ALL AROUND SBA HIGHER THAN THE 1400 FT OVERCAST AND FOG ON THE OCEAN SIDE.BOY WAS I DISSAPOINTED! HOW DID YOU OTHER VFRs GET IN.YES IM THE ONE WHO REPORTED ON THIS WEB SITE THAT FSS WAS PREDICTING A CLEAR SAT> MORNING. ANYONE BRING THERE DIGITAL CAMERA.ILL BE WATCHING FOR SOME PICS.DID ANY CLOTH INTERIORS MAKE IT.