A36 vrs SR22 usefull load question

I came acros the specs on Bonanza A36 and note that its gross wt is certified at 3600 lbs, a full 200 more than the SR22. This despite similiar power plants and the SR22 having a much longer wingspan.

Is this a certification thing (That is, tougher rules on newer designs?) or am I comparing apples with oranges?

I came acros the specs on Bonanza A36 and note that its gross wt is certified at 3600 lbs, a full 200 more than the SR22. This despite similiar power plants and the SR22 having a much longer wingspan.

Take a look at the EMPTY weight. My 182 empty is 1882 lbs, and the SR-22 is 2250. Maybe compositye of equal strength weighs more?

Take a look at the EMPTY weight. My 182 empty is 1882 lbs, and the SR-22 is 2250. Maybe compositye of equal strength weighs more?

That’s partially the answer, the other is that the 182 is certified under CAR3, while the SR20 is certified under FAR23, which has more stringent requirements. A FAR23 certified aircraft is a much stronger (and therefore heavier) plane than one certified under CAR3.

In theory composite weighs less, as in most homebuilts. However, in certified aircraft the composite has to be built much stronger (thicker) than otherwise necessary, to account for the possibility of flaws in the process which cannot be easily detected by after-the-fact inspection.

Joe

Maybe compositye of equal strength weighs more?

That’s partially the answer, the other is that the 182 is certified under CAR3, while the SR20 is certified under FAR23, which has more stringent requirements. A FAR23 certified aircraft is a much stronger (and therefore heavier) plane than one certified under CAR3.

I understand what you fellows are saying.
However, my REAL question is how come the Bonanza is certified to carry a gross wt of 3600 lbs yet the SR22 only 3400? Both have same hp! Is this a regulation thing or related to wings, etc?