XM Weather in the Cockpit

Has anyone gotten the XM weather option installed in their plane yet? What do you think of it? Who is installing it for the best price? How quick is it returning requests for radar? Does it loop the images? Any other input? Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

In reply to:

… XM weather option

Not installed in the plane yet. But I very briefly went thru demo at Cirrus’ AOPA booth and my initial impressions were very positive. Can’t recall the price, but it was relatively cheap (a few K $'s).

In reply to:

Has anyone gotten the XM weather option installed in their plane yet? What do you think of it? Who is installing it for the best price? How quick is it returning requests for radar? Does it loop the images? Any other input? Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Cost at APR is XM from Cirrus plus 11 hours install time…About 8400.00…Ed

In reply to:

May I be the first to congratulate you on posting the type of question that solicits responses that help us all to make informed decisions regarding our aircraft.

I have been on the fence for some time now regarding the possibility of installing this technology in my plane. These types of discussions help to inform me as to the value of it. I donÂ’t know for example if itÂ’s possible to get just the Cmax and not the XM weather.

Again thank you for your question. As you know, these types of issues get dissected in depth in the members forum.

I had the XM weather and the CMAX installed two weeks ago at G-Force Aviation in Akron. Excellent SC. $8900 for the XM and $3900 for the CMAX.
The system is awesome. No waiting for replies and you get the weather on the ground unlike the ground based systems. Nexrad is updating every few minutes, the display gives you the age of the Nexrad and Metars. Metars are translated on the trip page, and you can see the current weather all along your route. The Nexrad show precip and stormscope lighting, so you have a pretty complete picture. Metars, Nexrad, sigmets and airmets shown on the map page. You can check weather anywhere using the #2 430 with a direct-to and chenging the MFD over to #2 temporarily. Price seems to be pretty much the same everywhere.

I’m picking up N618MB SR22G2 next week it has the XM weather and CMax. From what i’ve read from the folks who looked at the demo’s at AOPA don’t really know if I’ll be disappointed or not. However, the flight back to VA, looking at the weather next week, may be a test of how it performs.

In reply to:

…About 8400.00…

Sounds right…it’s a few K$'s to my interest, $3400 IIRC (the amount is prorated to each frac owner in my case). I should have clarified…

Mike–really looking forward to hearing how the new stuff works and your PIREP on it all.
Also can you do a pirep on fit/finish etc. Thanks!!! [:)]

WILCO. A great thing about the forum is lesson’s learned. I’ve noted the chipping around the Leading Edge Ice Shields and seems like the interiors have been an issue as well. Got my fine tooth comb out…

I picked up 618MB, SR22G2 this week in Duluth and flew back to VA, Sunday- average ground speed 230 knts. The weather was great so did not get to preview the Nexrad, but it was great getting the Sigmets for TURB and the METARS on the Trip page. Knew what to expect and ATIS confirmed what I already knew and was prepared for. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that are available with the hand held units but as a integrated part of the flight system, it is well worth the extra bucks. Unfortunately the CMAX only had a few Training charts but when we did a ILS with Arc it provided a great view of the approach picture and was clear and very easy read and navigate. You can change from a daytime white screen with black outline to a night view of Black background and white outline. In the airport view you may expand the view and move it around as needed. With a push of the button you can choose charts in the flightplan or select one is in the database by the usual one letter at a time. I imagine it will be only a matter of time before the enroutes are available. Unfortunately you still have to carry a paper copy of the charts from what the UND instructor told me – but you can just print out the ones you need just in case of MFD failure - which is the reason you need to keep them in the plane. I think this has been discussed but Jepp will be providing the Jepp View charts by the end of Nov.

Very few squawks- defective screen on the 430, leaky tire, a few paint touch ups. Some folks had a long list, some like me just a couple of minor ones. Each plane has its own personality I guess. Recommend buying the Aero-tow bar from the Cirrus shop and Mats. The tow bar that comes with the plane is pretty weak.

It’s nice to discover for myself what everyone’s been talking about – i.e. This is one great airplane (period) and a total joy to fly.

For you guys with the XM weather, what do you know about hooking up xm radio to the Headsup Technology display??

Mike, where are you based? I have 468BB based at HEF.

Rick

Rick, I’m also at Manassas. Used to have a C-182. Park on the East Side, have a SR 20 next to me and a Sr22 about 3 planes down, so feel like i’m in good company. Just got back from Duluth Sunday and will be going solo for the first time for some pattern work Sat or Sun (Gulp). Would appreciate any insight on the plane and Dulles Aviation if they’ve done any work on your plane. I’ve had a few annual issues with them on the 182.

In reply to:

Rick, I’m also at Manassas. Used to have a C-182. Park on the East Side, have a SR 20 next to me and a Sr22 about 3 planes down, so feel like i’m in good company. Just got back from Duluth Sunday and will be going solo for the first time for some pattern work Sat or Sun (Gulp). Would appreciate any insight on the plane and Dulles Aviation if they’ve done any work on your plane. I’ve had a few annual issues with them on the 182.

I’m on the west side myself. We can talk if you like, I am at 703.216.4441. First time solo in your new cirrus? Wow, you would not believe but I took 5 hours dual in arizona from a CSIP and then set off on a 12 hour journey from scottsdale AZ to Manassas VA all in one day.

I have 33.5 hours in type, 45 day landings and 4 night landings so far. Picked mine up at the very end of august.

Good luck on your solo this weekend and give me a call if I can help with anything.

Rick

In reply to:

Nexrad is updating every few minutes, the display gives you the age of the Nexrad and Metars.

Scott,

Be careful with this. The age you see on the MFD for Nexrad is the age of the download and does not represent the age of the weather product. Nexrad gets scheduled for broadcast every 5 minutes with XM. In my experience, the Nexrad data you see on your MFD will be 10 minutes old or older as compared to what you see outside of the cockpit.

My experience, working with the XM system since March, is the same as Scott’s. It is also interesting to see how fast the image changes somtimes in that one 5 minute interval. Something to watch for in rapidly changing conditions.
Given those limitations though, I have found in this year’s busy thunderstorm season that the XM weather was absolutely fantastic in giving vivid situational awareness of where the weather was going, how intense it was, and where to go to circumnavigate. Also gave a great view of which weather was comfortable to penetrate and which should be avoided.
My personal report card on the system wasa a solid A+. The system did not “burn me” once all summer.

Thanks for the info. My goal would be to be far enough away from any severe precip or thunderstorms that the age of the info would not be a significant factor, but I will keep that in mind.