WxWorx software update

WxWorx has just updated it’s software. See release notes below

We are pleased to announce the release of version 1.19 of WxWorx on Wings. Two new
data products are displayed and some asked for operational improvements have been
included.
For no additional cost we now depict all Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) areas on the display. The TFR data is continuously displayed graphically and each area can
be interrogated for specific time sensitive information.
Also for no additional cost we now depict Surface Analysis data. This is the location of surface fronts and the centers of the high and low pressure systems. The data is
current and also forecast out to 48 hours.
The display window now supports both portrait and landscape modes and can be
configured for a larger screen resolution.
The manual has been re-done to reflect the enhancements and laid out differently to
assist users in finding needed information quicker.
XmLink has been updated to version 1.24 to fix a time bug and some receiver activation issues.
V1.18 enhancements
• GPS data from an in panel GPS is now accepted and utilized within the WxWorx on
Wings software display.
• We have improved the handling of GPS data. The current working state (acquiring /
valid / invalid) is now indicated. Also the number of satellites in view and in use is
displayed.
• The METAR parsing code has also been corrected to properly reflect VFR, MVFR,
IFR, and LIFR weather states.
• The XmLink program has been updated for better interoperability with the XM signal
and improved indications of antenna status.
More information on the on the additions and modifications are also available on the WxWorx
website. The update can be downloaded from the web at:
http://www.wxworx.com/downloads.html

In reply to:

For no additional cost we now depict all Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) areas on the display. The TFR data is continuously displayed graphically and each area can
be interrogated for specific time sensitive information.

Dennis,

This is a great feature added to a bunch of other really good features. Too many pilots are still penetrating TFRs, although thankfully, I donÂ’t think that any of us Cirrus pilots have been offenders yet. I am trying to narrow down a weather solution, and the TFR data definitely tilts me toward WxWorx. I do check with Flight Service before my flights, but TFRs still worry me because it comes down to the PIC to avoid them even if you are on an IFR flight-plan under vectors. Granted, being vectored right into a TFR will give you somewhat of a leg to stand on in court, but I donÂ’t want to be the test case.[:)]

I’ll bet if we had an “approved” “installed” weather system on the Avidyne we would not see this feature added this soon. Just makes another case for using portable weather solutions. They keep coming out with new features every few months.
Now I would like to see temperature data addeed to the winds data and METARS that give the wind direction in numerical degrees. PIREPS would also help as an added feature the already good AIRMET and SIGMET graphics.

In reply to:

I’ll bet if we had an “approved” “installed” weather system on the Avidyne we would not see this feature added this soon.

Brian,

I bet you are right, and I agree that it makes a good case even stronger to opt for a portable weather solution.

In reply to:

I’ll bet if we had an “approved” “installed” weather system on the Avidyne we would not see this feature added this soon.

Brian,

Actually, I believe the current Avidyne weather product, which we can’t get (sorry, had to add that [:)]), does have TFR’s on it. I have never used it, but saw it in their booth on display almost a year ago. Software and display wise it is awesome. Now they just need to get it to work… in our planes. Far be it for me to defend Avidyne or Cirrus here, but if they deliver what they have been displaying it will be there. Of course that is a big IF…

None the less, uncertified products are going to evolve much more quickly than any certified product, that is for sure. Interesting situation in GA, the rate of evolution is so fast now we almost cannot keep up. Its a good time to be a pilot…

Roger:
I agree. My main point is that those who are “worried” or concerned that Cirrus does not have a certified weather system for the Avidyne maybe should look at this as a mixed blessing. We may be better off just going with one of the varieties of portable systems in that they show us as much or more weather, are more easily customizable, are cheaper and are portable. The ONLY downside I see is the lack of ability to see the radar directly on the Avidyne screen. But ALL the other weather data needs not be superimposed on the screen to make it “better”.
The long and the short: We may be better off without Avidyne weather.

In reply to:

We may be better off without Avidyne weather

Brian,

I have mixed feelings on this, but agree with your premise. I would rather have an integrated solution in my aircrafts systems. Its easy to manage, see and no wires or other gadgets to fool with.

Clearly uncertified products will outpace, dramatically perhaps, the uncertified ones and will likely be far cheaper to boot. And they will be as useful and reliable in a practical sense.

That said, while I would prefer a Avidyne solution, it is not forthcoming and I will buy a portable solution. Once I have invested in it, I will not likely replace it when Avidyne delivers unless there is a huge improvement - and I suspect there will not be.

It was Avidynes market to lose, they tossed it away.

In reply to:

I will buy a portable solution

Roger,

What system are you interested in? If you’d like, we can get together and I’ll demo the NavAirWx system.

Walt

In reply to:

What system are you interested in? If you’d like, we can get together and I’ll demo the NavAirWx system.

Walt,

The system you have is very high on my list. And yes, I absolutely would like to see it. Lets get together and fly behind it. I am out of town this weekend, maybe next?

In reply to:

maybe next?

Roger,

I’ll be back in Prescott 4/30. How about 5/1 or (I prefer) 5/2? You’re place or mine? [:)]

Walt