Ultimate Challange Part 20 v 22

John,

Never mind the speed - I like what you did with your CAPS pin! [:)]

• Mike.

In reply to:

Here’s the other one which actually impressed me more because the G/S was 202 in a 400FPM climb & it was three months after coming out of 24 years in a C172

It looks like a very momentary climb based on CHT’s, and IAS. If you were in a steady 400 FPM climb at ~125 knots at 7500 ft with CHT’s between 295 and 330 then you have a very special SR20.

I don’t have a photo of it, but a couple of years ago I clocked 220knots GS in an SR20. It was Walt Conley’s bird (very much an antique SR20) - 160 KTAS, 40 knots tailwind, plus another 20 knots from some mountain wave. Of course a few minutes later the wave reversed to drop the speed to 180, but it was nice while it
lasted.

In reply to:

Headwind component at 12,000’ was 120 knots!

Mike;
Perhaps I’m a bit conservative, but should a Cirrus be flying in an environment with 120 kt winds?

Here’s my nomination for a '22 - 242 knots GS. Oh, if you look at the fuel flow and NMPG it was 11.3 GPH (LOP!) and over 21 NMPG. (Yes, it was also straight and level.) Unfortunately, I paid te price on the return trip with 80 - 90 knot headwinds. Regardless of what the plane thinks about flying in strong winds, I can assure you that you should never fly in 90 knot headwinds!!! (I have pics of that too.)

Mike,
I’m a little shocked that you were 20 feet off your assigned altitude.

Mike
That’s pretty impressive, both for the speed & your apparent patience in enduring it.
At the CPPP in Florida last year the instructor & I tried our best to fly backwards but couldn’t get below 15kt at the ragged edge of stall.

In reply to:

Perhaps I’m a bit conservative, but should a Cirrus be flying in an environment with 120 kt winds?

It was smooth at 12,000’. What safety difference does it make what the windspeed was?

• M.

None, I guess. I have never flown in that kind of jet stream in a small aircraft. I would think that those kind of wind speeds would normally be associated with some form of adverse weather

In reply to:

I would think that those kind of wind speeds would normally be associated with some form of adverse weather.

I don’t know – perhaps Scott would care to comment. A look at my log book confirms that there was no IMC on my route BKL - LOU that day, 4/12/01.

• Mike.

Michael

My original cruise altitude was to be 3500 until I noticed that the GS kept increasing even at a 4-500 FPM climb. There was no point in going beyond 7500 as it was almost time to start the descent.
And yes, unlike ArtP’s bird, my runs pretty close to book.

John
N468JP SR20 #1261