Transponders as Back-up Altimeter?

You may know that the new digital Garmin transponder is being offered for new orders. You may not know that it offers a digital read-out of your altitude. The big question is whether or not this could function as a back-up altimeter.

In Barry Schiff’s June article in AOPA Pilot points out that there is no satisfactory back-up for your altimeter. However, if the new Garmin unit has an independent blind encoder, it may be able to read out the altitude despite loss of your altimeter. Does anyone have the answer?

You may know that the new digital Garmin transponder is being offered for new orders. You may not know that it offers a digital read-out of your altitude. The big question is whether or not this could function as a back-up altimeter.

In Barry Schiff’s June article in AOPA Pilot points out that there is no satisfactory back-up for your altimeter. However, if the new Garmin unit has an independent blind encoder, it may be able to read out the altitude despite loss of your altimeter. Does anyone have the answer?

Transponders typically report pressure altitude (29.92) and the local controller converts using their local altimeter setting. Some transponders use a separate blind encoder, some (like my A-36) use an encoder built into my main altimeter. In

the second case, if the altimeter fails, it could take Mode C with it.

In Barry Schiff’s June article in AOPA Pilot points out that there is no satisfactory back-up for your altimeter.

With the switching-off of SA, GPS altitude has become much better. From my observations recently, on a GNC-300XL, it seems to be good to within 100ft, and often much better. That’s good enough to avoid hitting anything.

I wish I could have gotten the 327 for the difference in list price - I will upgrade to the 327 some day.

Its timer with the S-TEC’S V/S should work well for altitude intercept.

Since they stopped dithering the GPS signals I’ve heard that the GPS is a pretty good backup for the altimeter though I haven’t checked it out.

Anyone out there checked this out?

I have used the GPS for some time as a back up altimeter even before the improved signal. It isn’t perfect but it is quit good. It is particularly comforting when flying IFR, or at night over dark terrain. It makes a nice cross check to the altimeter.

Scott

Transponders typically report pressure altitude (29.92) and the local controller converts using their local altimeter setting. Some transponders use a separate blind encoder, some (like my A-36) use an encoder built into my main altimeter. In

the second case, if the altimeter fails, it could take Mode C with it.

31 seconds!

Gee Clyde, that’s the fastest reply I’ve ever gotten!

In Barry Schiff’s June article in AOPA Pilot points out that there is no satisfactory back-up for your altimeter.

With the switching-off of SA, GPS altitude has become much better. From my observations recently, on a GNC-300XL, it seems to be good to within 100ft, and often much better. That’s good enough to avoid hitting anything.

31 seconds!

Well, it wasn’t a reply, I hadn’t seen your post before posting my message. While I do type fast, I’m not sure I could read a message, compose a reply and send it within 31 seconds.

31 seconds!

Well, it wasn’t a reply, I hadn’t seen your post before posting my message. While I do type fast, I’m not sure I could read a message, compose a reply and send it within 31 seconds.

Come on Clyde, you didn’t really think I thought it was a reply.

The indentation should keep even the more gullible from thinking that.

Before looking at the time I had assumed that yours was there ahead of mine.

I have seen other replies pop up just before I was going to reply with a similar answer.