This week's aircraft spotters' quiz

Can you identify these aircraft?

Cheers,
Roger

I don’t know where to begin with the top picture, but the word “Avro” pops into my head for the bottom picture. Am I getting warmer? [:)]

Regarding the top picture; was it a B-29 decendant?

In reply to:

I don’t know where to begin with the top picture, but the word “Avro” pops into my head for the bottom picture. Am I getting warmer?

Andy,

It’s always good to start with “A” and work forward from there — but to get the name of the manufacturer, you’ll need to work your way onward through the alphabet. [;)]

Perhaps you were thinking of the Avro Manchester (see below), a twin-engine bomber that was less than successful in RAF service — due in large part to its unreliable Rolls-Rotce Vulture engines. (The same basic design evolved into the very successful Avro Lancaster with four Rolls-Royce Merlins.)

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Regarding the top picture; was it a B-29 decendant?

Andy,

No — although it’s the same vintage as the B-29, it’s from a different manufacturer.

FWIW, the B-29 ended up taking over the role for which this airplane was intended.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

FWIW, the B-29 ended up taking over the role for which this airplane was intended.

Roger,

Thanks for the pointer. [:)]

In reply to:

Perhaps you were thinking of the Avro Manchester (see below), a twin-engine bomber that was less than successful in RAF service — due in large part to its unreliable Rolls-Rotce Vulture engines. (The same basic design evolved into the very successful Avro Lancaster with four Rolls-Royce Merlins.)

Yep. I had Manchester on the brain. Speaking of my brain, it is out of ideas so I am going to have to start hitting the airplane picture-books. [:)]

In reply to:

Yep. I had Manchester on the brain.

Andy,
Or perhaps you were thinking of Elsa Lanchester (from The Bride of Frankenstein) rather than the Avro Manchester…

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Or perhaps you were thinking of Elsa Lanchester (from The Bride of Frankenstein) rather than the Avro Manchester…

Roger,
Well, I always have been attracted to older women, although not usually that much older. [:D]

In reply to:

Roger,
Well, I always have been attracted to older women, although not usually that much older.

Andy,
Elsa was only 32 when she made The Bride of Frankenstein… which should be within your striking range!

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Andy,

Elsa was only 32 when she made The Bride of Frankenstein… which should be within your striking range!

Definitely. If only I had been born in 1902! [:)]

Does the successful contestant win an hour of dual in an SR22?

The top picture is a Republic Rainbow. I don’t know the bottom one.

In reply to:

Republic Rainbow

No wonder it didn’t win the bomber competition. [;)]

In reply to:

Does the successful contestant win an hour of dual in an SR22?

You can get an hour’s ride in an SR20 — if you can make your way to Santa Barbara. [:)]

In reply to:

The top picture is a Republic Rainbow. I don’t know the bottom one.

Andy’s guess was that the manufacturer’s name started with “A”. The next guess would therefore be…

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

No wonder it didn’t win the bomber competition.

Andy,
Actually, the Republic XF-12 (later XR-12) was designed as a dedicated reconnaissance aircraft for high-altitude, high-speed operations (the same requirement as led to the Hughes XF-11, in which Howard Hughes had the horrific crash depicted in the movie The Aviator). “Rainbow” is actually a pretty cool name for an airplane whose primary purpose was to gather light onto photographic film!

With the advent of reconnaissance versions of the B-29 and its higher-performance sequel, the B-50, the XR-12 contract was cancelled.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Andy,

Actually, the Republic XF-12 (later XR-12) was designed as a dedicated reconnaissance aircraft for high-altitude, high-speed operations (the same requirement as led to the Hughes XF-11, in which Howard Hughes had the horrific crash depicted in the movie The Aviator). “Rainbow” is actually a pretty cool name for an airplane whose primary purpose was to gather light onto photographic film!

With the advent of reconnaissance versions of the B-29 and its higher-performance sequel, the B-50, the XR-12 contract was cancelled.

Very interesting, Roger. Thanks for the lesson! Even head-to-head with the latest military aircraft, the Rainbow is one of the nicest looking designs I have ever seen. [:)]

In reply to:

The next guess would therefore be…

Bristol Type 163 Buckingham?

In reply to:

Bristol Type 163 Buckingham?

Andy,

You got it — it is indeed the rather obscure Bristol Buckingham.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

You got it — it is indeed the rather obscure Bristol Buckingham.

Woo Hoo! [:)]