Surface Temps

I just flew N191KM to Tunica, MS for a quick day trip to check out the gambling.

The plane flew terrifically, thanks for asking. The flight time was 4 hrs 7 minutes round trip with average TAS about 170 kts at power settings near, or below, 65%. The fuel consumption for the entire time (Hobbs 4.9 hrs. ) was about 60 gallons. I say about, because, I’m not sure how far to fill it. Anyway, based on the flight time, the fuel flow was just under 15 GPH. Using the Hobbs, it was 12+ GPH. Cruising altitudes were between 7,000 - 10,000 with about 70% of the time spent at 9,000 or above.

Back to the issue: After leaving the plane on a dark tarmac for 4 + hours in Mississippi with temps in the mid 90’s and nothing but sun, all surfaces of the plane were fairly cool to the touch. I checked the tops of the wing, the plastic wing tip extension and the aluminum aileron. All were surprisingly cool.

The interior was Africa hot and the seats were suitable for frying eggs, or at least bare human thighs.

I attributed the cool exterior to the white color. Based upon this experience, I have no concerns about the temps on the composites.

Marty

Marty,

On behalf of the nearly 200 pilots waiting for SR22’s, I thank you for the PIREP.

The performance capabilites, particularly in regards to speed vs. fuel burn, for the 22 have not been as well-documented as the SR20 (naturally). It is great to hear some real-world numbers about what you can coax this plane into doing if you throttle back a tad…

Dean

Back to the issue: After leaving the plane on a dark tarmac for 4 + hours in Mississippi with temps in the mid 90’s and nothing but sun, all surfaces of the plane were fairly cool to the touch. I checked the tops of the wing, the plastic wing tip extension and the aluminum aileron. All were surprisingly cool.

Marty, how hot or cool were the lower surfaces facing to the hot, radiating tarmac ?

Wilfried