SR20 Hot and High Operations

**It’s now time for me to jump into the forum ring!

My question:

Does anybody have any significant experience flying SR20’s out of hot and high altitude airports? I have been flying my SR20 N229CD out of 5,000 - 7,000ft MSL airports in Arizona, during above standard temperature conditions.

These airports I have frequently operated into/out of in my former plane, a normally aspirated 182P with a greater performance margin during the takeoff roll and initial climb.

I have found performance of the SR20 under similar circumstances to be acceptable but definitely not spectacular!

I have found that some temperature/altitude conditions that are common at these airports (Flagstaff & Sedona) are not even reported on the take off performance table of the POH.

I am especially interested in hearing experiences about hot and high operations in the mountains (i.e. Apsen, Big Bear,…)

Thanks, Reggie

(I must say … I have learned a lot from fellow SR20 pilots, the thoughtful and intelligent contributions are nice to see.)

Hi Reggie,

I have the same concerns. I am from the North East and building a house in Prescott. I can appreciate the difference in density altitude and flying near mountians. (Hills in CT!). I will be taking local training to keep myself “safe”. Where are you located? I will be in Surprise AZ until July 4th.

Walt

**It’s now time for me to jump into the forum ring!

My question:

Does anybody have any significant experience flying SR20’s out of hot and high altitude airports? I have been flying my SR20 N229CD out of 5,000 - 7,000ft MSL airports in Arizona, during above standard temperature conditions.

These airports I have frequently operated into/out of in my former plane, a normally aspirated 182P with a greater performance margin during the takeoff roll and initial climb.

I have found performance of the SR20 under similar circumstances to be acceptable but definitely not spectacular!

I have found that some temperature/altitude conditions that are common at these airports (Flagstaff & Sedona) are not even reported on the take off performance table of the POH.

I am especially interested in hearing experiences about hot and high operations in the mountains (i.e. Apsen, Big Bear,…)

Thanks, Reggie

(I must say … I have learned a lot from fellow SR20 pilots, the thoughtful and intelligent contributions are nice to see.)

I’ve been flying my SR20 out of KSAF (field elevation 6348) since November. One of the primary reasons that I am taking delivery of an SR22 shortly was precisely because of this issue.

I don’t think the SR20 has sufficient excess power to take off both high and hot; it hasn’t

been warmer than about 20C since I’ve had it out here, and at even that temperature it’s pretty sluggish in climb, and as you note, the temps at KSAF are off the SR20 performance chart for a good chunk of the year, except at night.

FWIW, I flew a 58 Baron out of SAF last summer when it was about 35C, at max gross. Eventually I hit rotation speed, lifted the nose, bounced along on the mains for awhile, got established in the air, sucked in the gear, flew at about 10AGL looking for airspeed, and finally hit a thermal and was doing 1500fpm up. Short version is that high and hot is dangerous in just about anything.

(A Citation CJ1 apparently cannot depart SAF with enough fuel to reach California unless the temperature is something like 15C or below.)