SkyTec Starter Solenoid Failure

Just had a reply from SkyTec, they said they have always been aware of the Solenoid problems in the Cirrus, which they have now fixed with a later version Solenoid. It is only thanks to COPA that I now have this information as I was informed by my UK maintenance facility after the failure that I was the only one they have known to ever have had a Solenoid failure ! - Breaking down in a far away airfield is very expensive and not a very nice experience, a vacation for 4 people was ruined due to the issue, this could easily have been avoided by a bulletin from SkyTec advising all Cirrus owners / Maintenance Facility’s of the solenoid problems and the new fix. My advice now to anyone with the SkyTec starter is to get it replaced with the latest Solenoid. Thanks again to COPA

Cirrus should also be advising us of this issue, as when I broke down, I wasn’t swearing at SkyTec, I was swearing at Cirrus and wondering whether I had made the right decision in purchasing one. In the 12 years I owned an Archer in took me everywhere, all over Europe and never broke down once. The first long trip I take in the Cirrus and it breaks down !!! - I was very unfortunate yes, as the SR22 is a great aircraft, but Cirrus should also be sending out bulletins advising of the Solenoid problems, as aprons with broken down Cirrus aircraft is not very good advertising !!!

Stefan:

Did Skytec tell you when they perfected the solenoid for the Cirrus? Many of us have been using the Skytec starter for years now and may not be familiar with the latest best version.

My Skytec ST-5 was installed in 2010 and has been working perfectly since then. I am not sure if there was an upgrade after that year or not.

My Skytec ST-5 that failed was fitted in August 2012 / 100 hrs old - so I would say that yours will definitely be fitted with the early solenoid as well. Skytec have asked me for the serial / batch number of the replacement one I had fitted last week and they will confirm if it is fitted with the later version Solenoid.

My failed SkyTec was also working perfectly until it failed, got in the plane, turned the key and nothing, just click, click was the noise that it made. Then a long hassled journey home, dread to think how I would have got home from some of the far away places I have visited in Europe in the past. Lesson to be learned !!

After this experience I will definitely carrying a spare starter on any future long trips

So are you saying the wire (from the MCU) should be hooked to the other solenoid terminal? That would be the one to the left of the terminal labeled “Power Terminal”. That would be a 5 minute fix to being stranded!

Correct paul. Ive been stranded by sky-tecs before and this does work, though its probably not too good for the mcu.