Sagem (ARNAV) to Avidyne MFD Switch

Yes, the software on your PFD and MFD have to be updated. That is why we had to wait over 2 years for Avidyne and Garmin to get together to make it work. Avidyne did not start on the process until Garmin had their WAAS certified. Forget the software version number. Think it was 6.1.

Ok, that helps!! My unit I bought was mfg in 2008, but I am unsure of the software version. As it stands now the WAAS upgrade is the last thing on my list, and my not get done while I own it, depending on this whole MFD debacle.

Makes me wonder what difference it makes if the MFD knows wether or not you have WAAS, it would be getting all its crossfeed via a RS232 I would think.

Thanks for the info!

I’ve done the WAAS upgrade in an SR22 and have a planned upgrade for my Avidyne-equipped Meridian. In neither case did the MFD require an upgrade. The PFDs will need to be upgraded if they are not on release 7 or better.

Since the MFD software upgrade can be done in the field, though, I’d think about upgrading. A bunch of UI freezes/crashes have been fixed, along with the annoying “flight logging stops at 00:00 UTC” bug.

Right answer. It is a six pack plane. No upgrade needed for WAAS.

Roger, good catch. If you have booth, it is recommended to keep them on the same version. There were bug fixes so I would bring the MFD to latest version from avidyne if I were doing all this work.

So I decided to tear into the Sagem (ARNAV) mfd, and found something a little troubling. The internal memory card that has the boot up information is missing. Roger thought he might know of someone who has an old MFD laying around, but just in case does anyone else have one laying around? The card is actually inside the box, it has to be taken apart to access it.

The contact I found that knew how to repair these said that the processor boards are common to go bad, however mine clearly is a simpler problem. Its a mystery how the card got removed in the first place, but all I care is to see if that fixes it. Once again, my direct email is advantagecycle@aol.com

Paul

Paul,

I may have the card. I went through this upgrade and still have the Arnav but I’m out of town right now so will check when I return. The decision process here is difficult. I chose Avidyne and JPI 900 and have been very pleased. Attached is a photo. I like the fact the engine data is always up in addition to the map. Let me know if you have any questions.

bradybennettt@hotmail.com

Paul

I’ve got an old Arnav in my hangar. I don’t know why it wouldn’t have the card in it. Call me in the morning and I’ll go out & get it. 602 -6 two two-4697.

Rick

Brady,

Love the setup here! I am buying an SR22 with the Aspen 3 pack with synthetic vision and it has the ARNAV in it. I too am lookign at replacing it with a JPI engine monitor and likely a panel mounted ipad for foreflight/garmin pilot. Where did you get your JPI installed and panel made?

Thanks Steve, the JPI is a great unit. This panel work was completed at Lancaster Avionics in Lancaster, PA. Talk to Todd Adams. (717) 569-1953‬.

Steve,

I should have mentioned, I really liked my JPI but it was done a number of years ago. If I were to do this to another plane I would add the iPad but not the JPI. For engine monitoring I would use Clyde’s Bluemax product. It sends the data to an iPad and allows everything that a JPI would do and a much lower cost.

Brady

1 Like