S-Tec

Does anyone know if the autopilot is driven by it’s own gyro’s. Are they slaved to the plane’

s attitude indicator gyro’s? Larry

Does anyone know if the autopilot is driven by it’s own gyro’s. Are they slaved to the plane’

I was told they are slaved to the plane

s attitude indicator gyro’s

The S-Tec autopilots are rate-based, not attitude based. They use the turn coordinator for roll control. The attitude indicator is not connected to the autopilot. The autopilot has no gyro of its own. The heading indicator is connected, when in heading mode.

Roll axis info is taken from the turn coordinator. Pitch axis info is taken from an altitude transducer and an accelerometer.

Net result–it all keeps working, even if both vacuum pumps die…

Roll axis info is taken from the turn coordinator. Pitch axis info is taken from an altitude transducer and an accelerometer.

Net result–it all keeps working, even if both vacuum pumps die…

So if you have a electrical failure as in the all electrical SR22 your auto pilot would no longer function? Larry Ferguson

Yes, but the SR22 has redundant electrical systems so losing all electricity would be a rare occurance.

Autopilots and airplanes come in many flavors. Failure modes depend on what fails and how your autopilot works. In my TB20, for example, the autopilot (KAP100) gets its roll information from the AI (artificial horizon) which is vacuum driven. So if I have either a vacuum failure (which disables the AI) or if I lose electrical power to the autopilot, IÂ’m out of luck (except that I do have a back-up vacuum source).

In the SR20 the autopilot keeps working when you lose vacuum because the attitude reference (T&B) and the autopilot are both electric.

All this goes to illustrate that systems knowledge is important.

Joe (Former position holder)

So if you have a electrical failure as in the all electrical SR22 your auto pilot would no longer function? Larry Ferguson

I don’t know of any autopilot that would function with an electrical failure. Keep in mind that something’s got to power the autopilot computer and the servos.

In a C-model SR20 you’d have to lose both alternators and then drain the battery. In the SR22 you’d have to lose both alternators and both batteries.