Rumors on Garmin 496?

Any rumors about a new 396–maybe a 496 to be introduced at Oskosh?

In reply to:

Well, if you “google” “garmin 496” you get this:
GPSMAP 496But having said that, two “reliable sources” state Garmin will in fact introduce a new portable GPS named the GPSMAP 496. The new 496 has all the features …
http://www.avionicswest.com/Archive/gpsmap496.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

However, when you click on the link, it’s dead.

In reply to:

Also, see here:
Garmin GPSMAP 496
Don’t look on the Garmin website for their next portable, it doesn’t exist yet. To be honest, I haven’t seen one or or offically heard the word from Garmin that a new portable GPS will be introduced at OSH. But having said that, two “reliable sources” state Garmin will in fact introduce a new portable GPS named the GPSMAP 496. The new 496 has all the features of the popular 396 plus what you read below.
Here’s what I’ve learned.
The new 496 is built on the same frame as the present and popular GPSMAP 396
Processing speed is slightly increased (so they think)
Comes with the City Select built-in, full unlock
AOPA Directory
Airport Ground & Taxiway layout for 600 Airports
Price is $2,795.00
I feel like the New York Times putting this up without actually hearing the word from Garmin but we shall see at OSH. To date, there are no aviation Marketing Memo’s mentioning the GPSMAP 496 so in reality it doesn’t exist. The crown jewel of the GPSMAP 396 is the aviation weather in my opinion. While the above features sound interesting, the $2,795.00 price verses $2,195.00 for the 396 just doesn’t seem to excite me. Let’s see what really happens.

I just saw on sarasotaavionics.com they are selling the 496 right now. When was it released? Pretty nice site they have, by the way.

Man----watch out Tom Friedman!!! Great job Dennis!!! Agree—a 396 is in my future very soon!!!

With gpws, and weather all thats really left is TCAS. Would sure be worth it for that alone.

I believe the 396 can display traffic info from the GTX330 transponder.

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/071906.html

Ordered a 496 from Sportys Wed and it will be at my house this Friday!!!

In reply to:

Ordered a 496 from Sportys Wed and it will be at my house this Friday!!!

Glad I waited, was on the fence waiting to buy a 396 but held off wanting to know if the 496 was real. Just ordered mine from Sporty’s too. Expect it friday or saturday, although I will keep my current system through OSH - not messing with a known good installation prior to that long a cross country, but I can have a little redundancy [:)]

BTW, there may be some accessories thrown in at OSH, but for me the big deal was ordering on the internet and avoiding the sales tax… Not inconsequential on a purchase of this size.

Ah the era of electronics where something as fine as a 396 can be obsoleted in a year [;)]. Actually I view the upgrades from the 396 as incremental, but if I am buying I want to newest. I don’t think I would consider trading up from a 396 to the 496, but I bet a lot of people do.

Roger;
Dittos all the way! I am also getting the marine chip–great back up for my boat!!
Do you know if anyone from COPA is making the “Turbo Bob glare shield mount”?? That was the best I have seen!!

In reply to:

Roger;
Do you know if anyone from COPA is making the “Turbo Bob glare shield mount”?? That was the best I have seen!!

It is the best, I totally agree. Jack was going to build some, but I think they are trying to resolve the differences in glareshields that will affect that mounting bracket. I know it won’t work in my early 22.