Related to my post below: Macintosh goodies

Will look into the IPAQ, thanks.

On a larger note: What are Apple users like myself finding are good flight planning programs…etc. It seems all the goodies are PC. Help me before I go over to the dark side.

:wink:

Dean

Do you still use a Sony BetaMax for your videos? :wink:

Joe

On a larger note: What are Apple users like myself finding are good flight planning programs…etc. It seems all the goodies are PC. Help me before I go over to the dark side.

Dean

Dean

Dean-
After several years of dealing with a (now unsupported) FliteStar for Macintosh program, I started looking for an alternative. Alas, there is no comparable level of flight planning software for the Mac out there. I was using Virtual PC on the Mac and emulating, but due to slow speed, printing problems, internet access through the ‘shared’ IP, etc., I gave up and purchased one of the Toshiba tablet PeeCee’s (ADR’s Electronic Flight Bag). I ONLY use it for flight planning and for Jepp’s FliteDeck programs, and that only under duress, but it works. (Windows just feels so ‘clunky’ compared to the Mac)!

Sorry I can’t be more help, but we Mac-Addicts have been abandoned in aviation…

Kevin

I am also a Mac user. I use the web for most flight planning. You have to have web access so it is not very portable unless you have a wireless system. I also bought a Compaq iPAQ and use Anywhere Map. That system is good because you can carry it in your pocket and yet have everything you need to flight plan. Here are the web sites I use.

http://aeroplanner.com/

http://www.flightbrief.com/

Dean

Dean

Apple released OS 9.2.1 yesterday (84MB free download). It offers significant speed and stability improvements. Much better in classic mode under OS X too. VPC v4 has become quite a lot quicker. I find VPC useful for running the little utilities (like GPS emulators) that are PC-only. Haven’t tried the flight planning software though.

Steve

Not sure that’ll help Dean, but any german speaking could check out http://www.preflight.dePreFlight.

It’s for the Mac, has a navigational database for Europe and VFR maps for Germany. Other (scanned) maps can be included and calibrated.

The program is only 1MB, all the data take 58MB and it’s rather quick, can do performance calculations, download a flight plan to your GPS (e.g. Garmin 295) or read the track history from the GPS (funny to see the vertical profile) and print a flight log including fuel, w&b, t/o and landing distance, ICAO flight plan, etc.

I LOVE the Mac,

Cheers

Wilfried

Dean,

Remember you can always run ANY PC program on a Mac by using Virtual PC. PLEASE don’t go over to the dark side :slight_smile:

Frank

Dean

You wound me, good sir! I’ll have you know I do indeed have a betamax in the back of a closet somewhere, just waiting for the world to appreciate it’s better picture quality and smaller tapes.

All kidding aside, I wonder if ARNAV isn’t Cirrus’ betamax. What was the great lesson of Beta vs. VHS? Make sure lots of different people can use your product. Me thinks MX20 = VHS.

:slight_smile:

Ohh please joe, that was an ignorant post. For those of us making a living in the computer world, we know that Mac OS X is the most sophisticated Operating System ever built. I am a PC weenie and willing to admit that. Mac OS X is unix based and you will be hard pressed to find another operating system as flexible and beautiful. I can’t wait to dump my PC for a MAC!!! :slight_smile:

Frank

Do you still use a Sony BetaMax for your videos? :wink:

Joe

Dean

Now a moment of prayer:

"Oh Great Coder in the Sky,

Please make all of the PC applications I need

to run operate under a Macintosh and not suck."

I love the Mac and wrote part of OS X (via FreeBSD), but still find myself with a Wintel box in front of me.

It’s not the OS that drives sales, it’s the applications. As soon as someone can really run native Windows apps under OS X and/or Linux, then there’s a hope of a future. (That and a 3 button mouse :-)).

Paul

It’s not the OS that drives sales, it’s the applications. As soon as someone can really run native Windows apps under OS X and/or Linux, then there’s a hope of a future. (That and a 3 button mouse :-)).

… just make first Win programs run without that gazillion of DLLs and soon they’ll run almost on any platform and that without performance or stability problems.

This is one secret of the Mac’s ease to use (esp. install/deinstall) and (sometimes) better performance with less GHz.

Not to mention the time you save with not reinstalling your system every two weeks or doing other “debugging” after a recently installed application screwed up your box. Or after a fine fast spreading virus did his job.

You just go flying instead and enjoy both, your Mac and your Cirrus.

And a two-button mouse would be just fine, as a compromise :slight_smile:

Wilfried

Dean and Kevin,

I’ve actually been pretty happy with Virtual PC (Version 4.0) as a Windows emulator. I runs rather speedily on my 450 MHz PowerMac G4, with no printing problems.

Cheers,

Roger

Dean

Dean-
After several years of dealing with a (now unsupported) FliteStar for Macintosh program, I started looking for an alternative. Alas, there is no comparable level of flight planning software for the Mac out there. I was using Virtual PC on the Mac and emulating, but due to slow speed, printing problems, internet access through the ‘shared’ IP, etc., I gave up and purchased one of the Toshiba tablet PeeCee’s (ADR’s Electronic Flight Bag). I ONLY use it for flight planning and for Jepp’s FliteDeck programs, and that only under duress, but it works. (Windows just feels so ‘clunky’ compared to the Mac)!

Sorry I can’t be more help, but we Mac-Addicts have been abandoned in aviation…

Kevin

Dean and Kevin,

I’ve actually been pretty happy with Virtual PC (Version 4.0) as a Windows emulator. I runs rather speedily on my 450 MHz PowerMac G4, with no printing problems.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger-

I had some specific issues with printing, e.g., my networked printer couldn’t be ‘seen’ by the Virtual PC program given my LAN at the time (I’d since solved it using a router).

Just curious, do you use FliteStar? If so, have you noticed arbitrary black lines appearing over your map page in the program? I’ve reported this to Jepp tech support, but since it doesn’t show up on ‘normal’ PeeCee’s, (in other words, non-emulated), they don’t seem to interested in solving it.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Alas, I don’t use FliteStar, so I have no words of wisdom to pass along.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger-

(snip)

Just curious, do you use FliteStar? If so, have you noticed arbitrary black lines appearing over your map page in the program? I’ve reported this to Jepp tech support, but since it doesn’t show up on ‘normal’ PeeCee’s, (in other words, non-emulated), they don’t seem to interested in solving it.

Kevin