Pirep- DVD : Flying the Feathered Edge

I’m not sure if I saw the initial Pirep from a flying magazine or Copa, but I acted on it and googled the DVD and bought it for 30$ on line.

It’s a movie produced by Harrison Ford about Bob Hoover and it has all the whose who of aviation…

Clay Lacy, Carroll Shelby, Sean Tucker, Dick and Burt Rutan, are the main guys discussing Hoover’s adventures and it spans Hoovers 65 years of flying every bird you can think of…

Interesting quotes
Hoover: while testing planes I would experience a engine failure 2-3 times a week.
LLoyd of Loundon: Hoover is the most insurable pilot in aviation. See the movie to understand why that said that.
Hoover: after stealing a nazi plane when he broke out of a POW camp, “here I am, flying a nazi plane and I’m a target in the sky to everyone”…

It’s a flick you would see at EAA, however won’t find on Netflix…

If you haven’t seen it, you’re missing out…

This was shown on the big outdoor screen (free popcorn!) at Oshkosh this year. Bob Hoover was introduced in person beforehand. He proceeded to tell all the stories from his life that were retold in the movie. He talked and talked and told story after story. After the time the movie was scheduled to start he was still talking. You could see that the other people on stage were starting to worry about the timing of events scheduled for that evening.

It was a treasure to hear an aviation hero in person and everyone was happy to let him go on but eventually it was an odd kind of irony to want the real guy to stop talking so you could watch a movie about him.

Enjoyed his talk, recommend the movie.

I hope he stays healthy and comes back next year to Eaa …
If I remember correctly, we was there in 2014 as well and giving meet and greet & autographs…