Midair collision

Unfortunately, Avweb is reporting on another fatal mid-air collision. This reinforces my view that TCAS backed up by CAPS is a very good idea when navigating our crowded airspace VFR.

CESSNAS COLLIDE DURING TRAINING FLIGHTS…

The Long Beach Flying Club lost two instructors and two students last Thursday when a Cessna 172 and a 152 collided two miles south of the

Queen Mary. The aircraft had left the Long Beach Municipal Airport (LGB) carrying 56-year-old instructor Mike Chisolm and 32-year-old CFI

Kevin Sok. An 18-year-old student in the 152 was on his first lesson; the 42-year-old in the 172 had a private license but according to the

school, always flew with an instructor. According to eyewitnesses, the planes were at about 1,000 feet when they tangled over the Pacific Ocean. The NTSB is investigating.

I learned to fly in this airspace, and this spot in particular is, I’m afraid, a no-win. There is a mile long breakwater that is absolutely perfect for those S turns and other low-level manuevers, consequently you end up with a ton of traffic all at the same altitude. I was literally afraid to fly there.

But I do have a question, about which I’ve received conflicting information in the past…

What is the Minimum Alt. for CAPS to be effective?

Dean

Does anyone know anything more about the forced landing of a SR20 that was discussed here last month – in Georgia, I think? Further info about what happened to the engine? If anyone has info I think this would be of broad interest. thanks.

I learned to fly in this airspace, and this spot in particular is, I’m afraid, a no-win. There is a mile long breakwater that is absolutely perfect for those S turns and other low-level manuevers, consequently you end up with a ton of traffic all at the same altitude. I was literally afraid to fly there.

But I do have a question, about which I’ve received conflicting information in the past…

Actually where they collided is a reporting point inbound for 25L.It is very busy airspace.I doubt a parachute would have helped.On the SR- the fuselage must be intact so the chute can deploy.As the cap straps run from Fuselage station 222 running forward to the firewall bulkhead.At about waterline 100.In otherwords the straps are buried in the fuselage from behind the cargo area to the fire wall .In a mid-air it is usually violent and stuff breaks.So a mid-air you’d be lucky to get min damage before you pop the chute.As for altitude .Who knows. the higher the better.One must be somewhat stable before chute comes out.Or you would tangle up.Just like a skydiver. -jeff

Dean

If memory serves me right the max. altitude loss is 900 and something ft in a spin and about 400 and something when deployed in level flight.

Placido

Dean

Actually where they collided is a reporting point inbound for 25L [at Long Beach, CA].It is very busy airspace.

You certainly get around, for a “Cirrus insider” based in Duluth!

Actually where they collided is a reporting point inbound for 25L.It is very busy airspace.I doubt a parachute would have helped.On the SR- the fuselage must be intact so the chute can deploy.As the cap straps run from Fuselage station 222 running forward to the firewall bulkhead.At about waterline 100.In otherwords the straps are buried in the fuselage from behind the cargo area to the fire wall .In a mid-air it is usually violent and stuff breaks.So a mid-air you’d be lucky to get min damage before you pop the chute.As for altitude .Who knows. the higher the better.One must be somewhat stable before chute comes out.Or you would tangle up.Just like a skydiver. -jeff

Dean

I disagree. Contrary to the Hollywood version, most midairs do not result in catclysmic explosions, but are more likely glancing blows, or vertical stabilizer to wing contact, etc., and a parachute would often be the difference between survival and death.

The book says the parachute needs a minimum of 920 feet to deploy.

The book says the parachute needs a minimum of 920 feet to deploy.

The 920 feet is the “maximum minimum.” This was the demonstrated loss of altitude when the chute was deployed after a one-turn spin (with the aircraft in a “steep nose-down attitude,” as the NTSB would say.) I was told that altitude loss from more level attitudes was quite a bit less.

No telling what the actual altitude loss would be if flight surfaces were departing the aircraft, but that’s a point at which I wouldn’t argue.