Maximum operating altitude

I’ve been to 17500’ multiple times traveling VFR eastbound with a naturally aspirated 2018 G6 SR22. This was usually to take advantage of tailwinds. It’s fun doing 160 kt TAS and 230-240 kt over the ground. No problem.

It is maximum indicated altitude at which you can fly the SR22, as shown on a properly set altimeter

I am new to Cirrus and inexperienced. EMBARK doesnt work well in this part of the world so we try our best to learn. We usually fly around FL125-FL155 when traveling far; in our area (Southern Europe) there are high mountain ranges and significant convective activity in summer. The NA SR22 reaches peacefully and easily FL165 and some days we have been there due to convective clouds; even if we couldnt go above all of them we could safely see them and go around. I once encountered a 40Kt wind perpendicular to a mountain range at 8000 flying at FL105.This was not forecast anywhere, however I was amazed at the stability and dignity of the plane as the turbulence wasnt disturbing at all (in my Archer III it would have been like a washing machine); now I fly this area at FL145 or more unless excellent weather. This plane can easily make FL175 and beyond. I would never go beyond this MOA but I can understand that under certain circumstances it might be necessary (ice or clouds) for a brief period of time.

Nice editing :joy: In the first version of your post you flew in FL195, and now “you would never go beyond the MOA” :slight_smile:

Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t think its a problem technically, and if really necessary to avoid convective clouds I would do it too, 195 should not be a problem. But it’s a restriction that should normally be respected. But we are not the Cirrus Police here :slight_smile:

Become a COPA member and learn all about your plane!

I would never go and that I hold ! I was under my instructor who was the PIC and on my first hours of flight. There was a need or so he said: icing and clouds.
There is also a reason why I deleted this as I kept on reading and some pilots dont recommend posting this because it might encourage others to do so. (there are 2 sides to this story as we can also learn from mistakes)
I dont know if I have made it clear enough: I would not go in this plane for many reasons but if I am endangered safety is first.
Yes, there are some pilots here that look like the Cirrus Police (in old posts)
I am a Copa Member and spend all my free time learning

Don’t worry too much. It is definitely safer to outclimb convective clouds and clime 1-2 thousand feet above the MOA than fly into it! I know what I would do …

We have had terrible thunderstorms this spring and summer; with very little experience in our Cirrus we were heading 600 km to start EMBARK. The weather was clear and sunny with no forecast of anything evil. After a while we encountered many innocent cumulus clouds that started growing quickly and soon became a threat. The stromscope started showing many strikes nearby so we decided to turn 180 only to find that it had also gotten worse. Tops were at about 13000 and growing fast. In a couple of minutes we were at FL140 and safely back home. I was very surprised at the performance of the plane, we were perfectly safe all the time and I would have been in trouble with all the other planes I flew before. Crossing the limits is a different story.

1 Like

I have been denied FL180 a few times due to the altimeter settings/pressures

You could, that’s why there is a minimum useable flight level depending on the altimeter setting.

Here is the table from the AIM:

1 Like